All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

zedhead1
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hardcore/concrete

Post by zedhead1 »

Hi folks,just in the middle of building my garage and was wondering how much hardcore and concrete i need for the floor.size is 7mx4m and hardcore will be 4" thick if thats correct and 6" concrete.cheers.

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
Argyll

Re: Hardcore/concrete

Post by Argyll »

https://www.beatsonsconcrete.co.uk/calculator/

You will need :
4.267 cubic meters
or
150.695 cubic feet
zedhead1
Newly registered Member

Post by zedhead1 »

Argyll wrote:https://www.beatsonsconcrete.co.uk/calculator/

You will need :
4.267 cubic meters
or
150.695 cubic feet
Thanks bud.is that hardcore or concrete though?[emoji6]

Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Concrete
zedhead1
Newly registered Member

Post by zedhead1 »

Ok so assuming its 1.7t per cubic metre i need roughly 8t.
Argyll wrote:Concrete
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Your best bet is to speak to whomever you're buying from. They'll get this question numerous times a day. Are you having it poured or mixing it yourself?
zedhead1
Newly registered Member

Post by zedhead1 »

Argyll wrote:Your best bet is to speak to whomever you're buying from. They'll get this question numerous times a day. Are you having it poured or mixing it yourself?
Mixing myself[emoji50]

Argyll

Post by Argyll »

https://source4me.co.uk/calculate_concrete_mix.php

Good luck! I just mixed 12m2 and it took me ages.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

6" thick :shock: Good luck mixing it. I too have just finished repairing some concrete where my large hairy friends tend to stop for grooming, feeding etc. It took multiple sessions as I was mixing by hand, and the thickness varied around 2-3". You will be surprised by the time you fill and empty the buckets (into the mixer in your case) you add the water, how little area you cover. I had got 3 ton bags (sand, 10 and 20mm gravel). I only got about a sixth of the 20mm gravel left (when I though I would have had half the materials left.
zedhead1
Newly registered Member

Post by zedhead1 »

OchAye wrote:6" thick :shock: Good luck mixing it. I too have just finished repairing some concrete where my large hairy friends tend to stop for grooming, feeding etc. It took multiple sessions as I was mixing by hand, and the thickness varied around 2-3". You will be surprised by the time you fill and empty the buckets (into the mixer in your case) you add the water, how little area you cover. I had got 3 ton bags (sand, 10 and 20mm gravel). I only got about a sixth of the 20mm gravel left (when I though I would have had half the materials left.
Well foundations were all dug out by hand and they were 1 metre deep and then concreted them by hand aswell.no sweat[emoji106][emoji1]

OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Ideally you want to mix and lay the whole lot in one go (ditto for the foundations). Concrete does not like joining up. If you can manage this you are a better man than me :thumbup:
zedhead1
Newly registered Member

Post by zedhead1 »

Well tbh it did take a few goes to get the foundations in.
OchAye wrote:Ideally you want to mix and lay the whole lot in one go (ditto for the foundations). Concrete does not like joining up. If you can manage this you are a better man than me [emoji106]
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

You may be ok for a garage floor if you divide it in portions, I know I am not OK in what I did as the water will get in the joints, frost in the winter, and it will crack. You will need a lot of aggregate stuff and even more cement (wickes has the better mastercrete at the best price at the moment).

Aim for as few joints as possible but ... Double check prices for ready mixed concrete vs the quantity of aggregate and cement + delivery(ies) you need. In my case ready mixed was not an option as horses had to be able to get through here and there and with ready mixed I would have to have it all delivered in one go to make it worth while. Also as I was paying for the pleasure I thought mixing myself would be cheaper. I am not sure it was cheaper and I will not try and quantify how much stuff I mixed as I might find I shot both my feet.

All in all, if you find you can get a cubic metre of concrete (what spec????) for around £100 it may be wise to take it unless you want to really DIY but not for the money.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

PS. Also watch out for what gravel you get (10 or 20mm). Ideally you need crushed stone but you only get that in ornamental garden stuff as far as I could see. Some of the gravel is explicitly recycled material which is not suitable for concrete. I might have had some of that in my 20mm gravel as a few times stones broke under my foot whilst mixing.
zedhead1
Newly registered Member

Post by zedhead1 »

Ok folks thankyou all very much for your help[emoji106]

Return to “Building Forum”