All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Me111
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Extension design

Post by Me111 »

I am planning a single story extension to my 3 bed bungalow.
Current floor plan
Current floor plan
Floorplan.JPG (60.82 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Floor plan with extension
Floor plan with extension
Floorplan with extension.jpg (70.48 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
The extension will be to the rear, 3 metres deep and the width of the two rear bedrooms. The lean to conservatory is almost falling down so that will go. My question is, what is the best way to make use of the extra space? The obvious, to me, thing it to make the two bedrooms longer, but my concern is that this may make them too long and thin? The drive is to the right of the bungalow, and the garage is at the end of the drive, set back about 3 metres behind the bungalow. We may look to add a conservatory off the back of the lounge (we've already taken out the lounge window and put in sliding doors) but don't want to lose access to the rear garden from the drive.
All the internal walls are studs, but we've just re-done the kitchen and bathroom so not looking to change the layout too radically. We'd like an en-suite as we have 2 small boys, and plan on staying here for the foreseeable future.

Any ideas gratefully received.
dewaltdisney

Re: Extension design

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think that while you are at it put in a foundation right across the back so you are ready to put a conservatory/garden room on at a later date. I think that extending both bedrooms gives space for ensuites and built in hanging space. As the children get older you will be glad of the extra toilets and showers plus space for their stuff. You might want to go up into the roof ( a master bedroom?) at some point so the third bedroom could be used for the staircase and the remaining space turned into a study.

Of course much will depend on financial viability on increasing the property value commensurate with the investment against buying a bigger property.

DWD
Me111
Newly registered Member

Post by Me111 »

dewaltdisney wrote:I think that while you are at it put in a foundation right across the back so you are ready to put a conservatory/garden room on at a later date. I think that extending both bedrooms gives space for ensuites and built in hanging space. As the children get older you will be glad of the extra toilets and showers plus space for their stuff. You might want to go up into the roof ( a master bedroom?) at some point so the third bedroom could be used for the staircase and the remaining space turned into a study.

Of course much will depend on financial viability on increasing the property value commensurate with the investment against buying a bigger property.

DWD
Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid going up isn't an option, unless we raise the whole roof. The apex is nowhere near 2.4m, I cannot stand up in the loft and I'm 1.8m. We would plan to put an en-suite in to our room, but are unsure as to the practicality of having 2 long thin bedrooms.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Oh, I see now, I had not clocked the dimensions.

How about this then? All the new extension would become the master with ensuite. The existing 9 by 12 bedroom would have a new window to the flank and the room would be enlarged by 3 foot into the smallest bedroom. Of the remaining space in that room you could form another ensuite and an access lobby from the sitting room to the new bedroom or just a corridor from the hall. Of course this is all dependant on you being detached to allow the flank window?

DWD
Me111
Newly registered Member

Post by Me111 »

dewaltdisney wrote:Oh, I see now, I had not clocked the dimensions.

How about this then? All the new extension would become the master with ensuite. The existing 9 by 12 bedroom would have a new window to the flank and the room would be enlarged by 3 foot into the smallest bedroom. Of the remaining space in that room you could form another ensuite and an access lobby from the sitting room to the new bedroom or just a corridor from the hall. Of course this is all dependant on you being detached to allow the flank window?

DWD
Apologies, we're semi-detached unfortunately, on the left hand side!
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Oh bugger, that will not work then. I will give it some more thought and come back.

DWD
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

The only way I can see now is quite a hack around to preserve what you have done all ready. The sitting room is divided to form a 14 by 11 bedroom. The new extension goes to the right side now and the sitting room remaining area is incorporated into the extension to keep more or less the same sitting room dimensions. The new bedroom formed will need the fireplace out and a new window to the side and possibly another ensuite. The two back bedrooms are knocked into one room with an ensuite. So two bigger bedrooms, the sitting room, kitchen and small bedroom stay the same.

A fair bit of work but a solution perhaps? What do you think?

DWD

Return to “Building Forum”