Removed Kitchen Wall now making good. Need Advice.

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

grant89uk
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Removed Kitchen Wall now making good. Need Advice.

Post by grant89uk »

Ok so I removed a non load bearing brick wall in my kitchen. Some of the quotes I was getting were horrendous so decided to tackle it on my own to at the very least save on the huge cost of labour for the demolition.

However I'm left with a few snagging issues and trying to get any local builder at all to show up to even have a look is proving problematic.

I have attached a few images to show exactly what I'm dealing with.

The first problem is when taking the bricks down to below the plaster level there seemed to be nothing in the cavity to the side of the door, so Im now left with this hole in the wall. Is it ok in this circumstance to just cut bricks to fit and secure them in place?

My second issue is the floor where the wall used to be. The bricks continued down into the crawl space and I now have a gap in the floor between a section of concrete floor and the suspended timber floor. What would be the best way to bridge this gap to achieve a nice level floor.

I have tried to call in a professional and I am willing to pay them to do this part of the job but not had any luck.

So any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
floor
floor
20180913_120452 resized.jpg (787.98 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
cavity wall
cavity wall
20180913_120442 resized.jpg (412.22 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
dewaltdisney

Re: Removed Kitchen Wall now making good. Need Advice.

Post by dewaltdisney »

If it is all structurally sound, that is the floor is not bouncing and the door stile is not wobbly then really it is cosmetic as I see it. I think I would cut a few noggins and glue (sticks like S adhesive is good) and wedge them in place at a point to allow some plasterboard to be fitted to make it all flush and neat. The flooring could be tackled in a similar way using 18mm ply as the floor filler. The finish here depends on whether you have new tiles going down as you want it to be either uniform in laminate or tile to meet a transition bar. If you managed to do the walls this should be achievable as a DIY job. Good luck :thumbright:

DWD
grant89uk
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by grant89uk »

thanks for the reply.

That sounds like a good idea, i was thinking just stick down some timber in the gap to bring it up to the level but wasnt sure what the "best" practice would be.

The flooring will all be laminate when finished so would the method of 18mm ply on Noggins be sufficient in this case?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

As long as the floor is firm and takes the traffic. You can fashion supports in a number of ways to take the ply which will be a substrate in this case under the laminate. Just make sure you work out the levels so when it is laid it is all even and no trip hazards. :thumbright:

DWD

Return to “Building Forum”