Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

steve1312
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wall paper stripping

Post by steve1312 »

Apologies if this has been covered before I've just stripped the wallpaper in our living room and the paper has taken a layer of paint off with it leaving a wall that is part grey and part white where the paint remains,

question is should I repaint wall before papering or can I paper straight onto bare grey wall
thanks Steve
OchAye

Re: Wall paper stripping

Post by OchAye »

:welcomeuhm:

I am not into wallpapering at all but here are some generic comments on a worse case scenario, how long is a piece of string is your decision.

a. The significant bit you are not asking is ... where the paint has flaked off, between plaster (or previous coat of paint) and current top coat of paint, there will be a step. The thicker the paper you use, the more likely you are to cover the step. If you don't cover the step and the paper is thin(ner) you got a problem.

You could sand the edges of the remaining paint to feather them and probably fill them too, as wide as possible to hide the step. Or you can cross line with lining wall paper.

Whether you should paper straight on or paint the wall ... unless the wall is well washed from the previous adhesive OR if you only paint the bare patches on the basis there is no adhesive on them[1], then it depends on the opacity (or not) of the wallpaper you are going to use. Belts and braces would be to paint the bare patches (after you fixed the edges) with a colour matching the rest.

If it helps a little, and as I said sorry but no exact answer.

[1] if you paint the bare patches, use a first coat of paint diluted with some 20% water as I assume you got bare plaster there. Then if the colour does not match the existing colour do a second coat with normal paint (of the bare patches). If you decide to minimise the work and not paint the bare patches, then look up "wallpaper sizing" and do that instead.
aeromech3

Re: Wall paper stripping

Post by aeromech3 »

I used red label 1200 lining paper from S.Fix as was recommended before emulsion painting; the paper is fine but it does not cover defects much and where I had filled small cracks I could still see, also I think my walls must have had an old vinyl paint and the solvite extra strong paste did not glue well, especially along the edges, despite sizing the walls 1st. Another problem I had only 4 lengths to hang and did not want to mix a bucket of paste, tried to estimate a small batch and could not find any reference to the consistency of paste, after the standing time!
Bought the expensive wall paper brush too £6.50, only to find a soft rubber edge squeegee blade a better tool.
Hope you have a heavy print paper and it will cover wall defects better.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”