Is this a problem/ damp or natural for damp course

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

babs33
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is this a problem/ damp or natural for damp course

Post by babs33 »

Cavity walls with loose fluffy stuff in (almost like toy /cushion filling) (been there 20+ years)

This white marking is all around the house, has been for a few years, someone a few years ago said its normal for a damp course. Have noticed now that if you rub in some places it rubs of almost like dust and leaves indents in places, almost like the bricks are rotting.
Can someone advise if this is normal or if I should get someone in to check as money is really tight at the moment so don't want to pay for what I don't need. .
Checked the house insurance and anything that has happend 'gradually' is not covered so canot ask the insurers.

Thanks
wall3_opt.jpg
wall3_opt.jpg (69.86 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
wall2_opt.jpg
wall2_opt.jpg (75.78 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
wall1_opt.jpg
wall1_opt.jpg (70.14 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
dewaltdisney

Re: Is this a problem/ damp or natural for damp course

Post by dewaltdisney »

Stop worrying, it looks like where salts are present and it has crystallised as it has dried on the bricks surface. It is below the damp course so it is not causing any issues. the fluffy stuff in the cavity is cavity wall insulation so not an issue, it keeps the house warm. The damp in these bricks has also meant that frost in the winter has frozen the surface of the brick and it has spalled (flaked). They look sound to me and usually the bricks below the damp proof course are a hard engineering brick that has very low porosity to prevent drawing too much moisture. I cannot tell from the pictures what these bricks are but just keep an eye on it from time to time. In the very worst situation an odd brick can be chopped out and replaced if it is considered that it has failed. I think you are a long way from that.

There are houses that have been up hundreds of years with very shallow foundations so I think that should put your mind at rest.

DWD
babs33
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Is this a problem/ damp or natural for damp course

Post by babs33 »

Thank you very much for replying so quickly, really appreciated.
one less thing to worry about :roll:

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”