Exterior wood glue

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

OchAye

Exterior wood glue

Post by OchAye »

Hi

I got to replace the bannister(s) on the back steps of the house (when I get off my rear from the settee). Any recommendations for glue please? I am looking at Ever build 5 Minute Polyurethane Wood Adhesive Gel 310ml or Gorilla Wood Glue or PVA for exterior use. I am tempted to avoid the ever build stuff as it maybe a bit thicker than not.

Also I got a handrail for decking (75mm wide) which underneath can take an insert to make it flat (I can post photos later). Is the insert meant to be glued?

Cheers

EDIT. In good form, after posting I read the Gorilla instructions and it is PVA ::b
ayjay

Re: Exterior wood glue

Post by ayjay »

Cascamite is always my first choice for exterior joinery, but I've also used the PU type glues successfully, including on my own new pair of garage doors (which are still fine ten years later).
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
OchAye
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Never had a problem with Everbuild - much cheaper than Gorilla, but then they don't blow loads of dosh on glossy TV adverts like Gorilla do, do they? Watch out with 5 minute glue, though, as you really do need to work quickly (more like 10 minutes though), If doing a complex glue-up Everbuild also do 60 minute versions of some of their glues
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
OchAye
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

I could spend for ever trying to figure out things which would only make sense if I actually tried them. I don't think I will bother with polyurethane but keeping it with Everbuild D4 whatsit. My sentiment too about Gorilla stuff :-)
D4-WOOD-ADHESIVE_01.png
D4-WOOD-ADHESIVE_01.png (80.71 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

The D4 stuff is actually a good choice - it's a modified (hybrid) cross-linked PVA which is almost as weatherproof as Cascamite and far better than the old D3 PVAs. Beware, though, it cannot be stored outdoors in frosty conditions because it contains some water, just like more basic PVAs it chalks out and refuses to bond below about 4 degrees Centrigrade, and it has a shelf life of 6 to 8 months stored with the air squeezed out of the bottle and kept in a non-freezing, cool place. Setting time 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on temperature = full strength in 24 to 48 hours. Use it a lot
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
OchAye
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Only if I had not cut one of the long planks in two but using the wrong angles, and then I cut the other plank correct to see that it has a partial crack along the middle. Off to the timber merchants again tomorrow.

Return to “General DIY forum”