Sizes rant

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Sizes rant

Post by dewaltdisney »

What is wrong with clothes suppliers? I have tried in the past to buy a Superdry coat as I like the style and embroidery symbols on them. I tried on a XXL in Chelmsford last year and it was very tight. The assistant was unhelpful and I contacted the manufacturers in, Cheltenham I think, to ask why they were so small. The assistant says that their sizing is taken from market research sizing statistic and I made some clever remark like 'what from Biafra' which sailed over her head.

Not one to be beaten, while we were in Florida I tried again in the outlet mall. My theory was the land of the fat would have better sizing. In my post stroke reduced body size I thought I would fit and get it at half price. Wrong, even though they had a XXXL it was tight on my arms and chest. I asked the sales guy 'what's up with the size, this is Triple X and feels like a medium'. He says 'they come up small'. So I say 'look at all the fat people out there fella, you must be quiet' He says we sell a 'lot to kids' FFS

On Friday, I needed to get some new jeans/trousers as my reduced bulk makes my trousers look like a sack tied at the top. I went into M&S got a size down, perfect fit, in and out in fifteen minutes. It just shows if you get the sizing right you can sell.

Take note Superdry.

DWD
Someone-Else

Re: Sizes rant

Post by Someone-Else »

Hate to point this out (may be not) but its a "world wide thing" doesn't matter what sex you are, you still get the same problem.

I buy "brand A" trousers in size M. Most of the time they fit as they should, but some times they don't, so I looked at the label.
Pair 1 says made in Italy
Pair 2 says made in Vietnam

They are both the same brand but different colour to each other, so its not the colour its the country where they are made that is the "problem" my OH can take it one step further. Here in the UK she can go into one shop and her dress size will be 10 but go to the shop next door and she is dress size 8

Let's not even go near the bra sizing debate.

And if you think about it, what is size M any way? we know its bigger than size S and smaller than size L but what actual size is it?

Edited to make new post.
Last edited by Someone-Else on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Yank sizes are all over place, Its a xxl kids size - a normal large adult

A quick look on the super dry site xxl is a 44" chest and xxxl in a 46"

M&S seem to have sizes that are right - I went into burtons for a pair of jeans and they had nothing but button fly (work of the devil) and/or skinny leg or bank manager sizes (short leg, large waste)
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

someone-else wrote:
Damn right s-e. No one needs to know ALL your intimate issues.

My bug bear is hats and gloves. I have to use disposable latex gloves all the time and getting some that I can get on my hands without either ripping off all the hairs on the back of them or ripping them to shreds is a real PITA. Fortunately Mrs k_e is a great internet searcher and found some.

But when it comes to clothes I don't actually look at the size label. I hold them up against myself to get a 'near enough' judgment then try them on. If they fit, they get bought.

I consider size labels to be something manufacturers are forced to sew on just to meet rules rather than meet specifications.
Don't take it personally......
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Oh, just remembered Shoe sizes. I wanted a pair of "special trainers" saw on the website, rang up to order, bloke asks what size are your street shoes? told him, he said in that case you will want a pair 2 sizes bigger in these :? they arrived, they were two sizes bigger, but they fit perfectly.

So its not just clothes, its shoes too.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

kellys_eye wrote:
someone-else wrote:
I have to use disposable latex gloves all the time and getting some that I can get on my hands without either ripping off all the hairs on the back of them or ripping them to shreds is a real PITA. Fortunately Mrs k_e is a great internet searcher and found some.
I use the bodyguard nitrile gloves (black large) around the workshop and car - the xpert blue are thicker and food safe the orange HD are looser fitting heavy duty
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

In shops it doesn't bother me too much as I would always try things on, very annoying for online ordering though. Most places I wear a Medium but I own clothes ranging from XS to L, for shoes I normally wear an 11 but I have those ranging from 9-12.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

There is no way that XXXL is a 46" chest Bob. I was a 46" chest, I think I am smaller now. But the XXXL I tried on was tight on my arms (and I was in a short sleeve shirt) and snug on the chest. No good for a winter coat where I would probably be wearing a jumper as well. I think the brand does come up small. What started this off in my head was Mrs D read a bit from the Sunday Times Style Magazine about some clothing manufacturer only did smaller sizes as they pompously said that only thinner people look good in our designers clothes.They have since come unstuck with this and they have had to bring out ranges of larger sizes to avoid collapse.

Perhaps there is the key, Superdry are deliberately not making the larger sizes so there are no lumps walking around in them. I saw a fat bloke in a jacket that had Superdry on it but it was clearly a poor fake with a printed logo rather than embroidered.

f*ck 'em, it has saved me £100 plus.

DWD
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Give Debenhams a try if you have one local
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Bob225 wrote:Give Debenhams a try if you have one local
NO!!!!

My OH is always taking stuff ordered on line back there. (But i suppose its a good thing you can take stuff back)

dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Yes, Debenhams is where I bought my last winter coat a Maine brand I think. To be fair I live and die in a parka that must be four years old. I just fancied a Superdry as I liked a particular coat.

Never mind, I will find another that appeals in my travels. i thought that I might pick up something in the designer outlet mall in Florida. Of course they do not have a lot of cold weather garments in a hot area. Mostly windcheater golf type tops.

DWD
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Superdry are notoriously small,2-3 sizes smaller than some brands. I thought it was because they were a Japanese brand and as the japs and Chinese are all tiny this was the reason.
Turns out they are a uk brand!!!

slight edit for political correctness. Mod 2.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

steviejoiner74 wrote:Superdry are notoriously small,2-3 sizes smaller than some brands. I thought it was because they were a Japanese brand and as the japs and Chinese are all tiny this was the reason.
Turns out they are a uk brand!!!

slight edit for political correctness. Mod 2.
I thought they were Japanese too. I like tje brand but not much fits me as I'm 6ft 2.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Fancy brands don't want fat ugly folk buying them, not a problem for slim handsome chaps like me :lol:

Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Return to “The Lounge”