Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Mohammed9706
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help ikea pax wardrobe

Post by Mohammed9706 »

Just ordered 3m stretch of ikea pax wardrobes 236cm high. Got home and realised the distance between floor and ceiling is not equal all the way across. On one side its 237cm and the other side is 239cm. 0.5cm is due to the floor not being level which i can hopefully sort out with the legs. However the rest is due to the ceiling. What can i do to fill the gap at the top?
wine~o

Re: Help ikea pax wardrobe

Post by wine~o »

:welcomeuhm:

That's the least of your worries. I've built several of these and you will need at least 80mm to 100mm clearance to get it upright;

you build them flat on the floor and lift them upright so the maximum ceiling height is the length of the diagonal from top back to bottom front if you see what I mean. Cancel the order.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Mohammed9706
Newly registered Member

Post by Mohammed9706 »

If i build them standing up then the height is not an issue
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Mohammed9706 wrote:If i build them standing up then the height is not an issue

:roll: :roll: Good luck with that. Like I said I've put together several of these flat pack Ikea wardrobes. Build it upright isn't an option.

The sides/back only become stable when the top is on.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

Mohammed9706
Newly registered Member

Post by Mohammed9706 »

I think you can build them upright but it is a 2 man job becuase like you said the back and sides are not stable.

Can anyone help me with my original query about the gap at the top of the wardrobe?
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Mohammed9706 wrote:I think you can build them upright
Mohammed9706 you crack on then... Once you've got it built come back and I'll try to explain how to scribe in a piece of plasterboard or faced MDF. Though based on your responses so far you won't listen to advice.
Verwood Handyman

Mohammed9706
Newly registered Member

Post by Mohammed9706 »

Thank you. Sorry didnt mean to offend you but ikea staff advised me its possible and based on youtube videos i think i can do it.

I will let you know once i have made them

Thank you again
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

When you have them up, take some pictures and then we can advise on filling the gap/shimming the wardrobes.
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

I'm with wine-o on this one. There's a high chance they'll be damaged if assembled upright. I always build flat and lift up.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

when you build them on the floor you finish with a quite fragile rectangle but fully supported by the floor as its face down so the joints are holding the bits together with the floor holding the weight until you affix the back that will give it rigidity as wino said
if you assemble it upright you need perhaps 700mm gap all round dependent on construction to get round to all parts
if the back slides down a channel then you cannot assemble upright as you need the height to slide the back in
also iff you have cambolts on the top and base you cannot work them correctly [hidden]unless you can access under the base and on top this usually requires laying flat on the face
if you do attempt to assemble in the upright position please do a dummy run on a unit thats shorter or a full height unit face on the floor to fully understand the assembly method and the possible problems you may face constructing in the upright position
would also suggest at least 3 or 4 people will be required to assemble safely if it is possible in the upright position :dunno:
we are all ------------------still learning
bobajob69
Newly registered Member

Post by bobajob69 »

I've assembled them upright before for a very tight fit. The only issue I've had is that the top twist locks and base twist locks are on show inside so that you can access them to lock everything together. But they are inside behind a closed door....
Would be easier with a second person but if like me you had a wall nearby that also works well whilst assembling.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
camallison

Post by camallison »

:withstupid:

I have assembled 3 runs of that height in the vertical position. As said, you MUST have a helper to hold the units to stop them racking and damaging the panels. In my case, there wss barely 5mm gap and it filled it with a thin strip of beading.

COLIN
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

we are all ------------------still learning
Mohammed9706
Newly registered Member

Post by Mohammed9706 »

Thank you for the responses. Delivery expected next friday so hopefully make them over the weekend and i will post some pictures
Mohammed9706
Newly registered Member

Post by Mohammed9706 »

Managed to get the wardrobes up. Definitely a 2 person job making them upright. Please find attached some pictures showing the gap at the top and side that i need help filling? Also the end door which no matter what i try i cant seem to align with the rest?

IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG (394.5 KiB) Viewed 6412 times
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”