Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Beanofgauze
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice with PBW paint patchy

Post by Beanofgauze »

Hi everyone, so I’m hoping for a bit of advice or guidance. I’ve lived in my house for 3 years - it was a new build and everything was painted with the standard magnolia. I’ve been making my way around the house changing it up room by room. This week was the living rooms turn and I decided I wanted an all white room, as opted for PBW (I know it’s not everyone’s taste). Anyway, I had been using dulux in other rooms in different colours no problem. The PBW on the other hand has taken terribly to the walls and ceiling. Really patchy/ blotchy. I figured it was the paint, so off I went and got some Dulux trade vinyl Matt PBW... put it on for a second coat over the standard and it’s not come up much better. Rollers are all decent. Bit stuck on what to do. Is it because it’s pure brilliant white? Should I got for a different shade of white over these two coats or just keep going?

I should say the walls were all super smooth and no different to any other room in the house that I’ve already painted successfully.

Super frustrating, not to mention tiring.
OchAye

Re: Advice with PBW paint patchy

Post by OchAye »

:welcomeuhm:

I am only guessing, and I do not have a clue if the paint or the colour are at fault, so the other usual problems are:
- paint too thick
- dries too fast
- roller sleeve poor (shorter than not and thin pile)
- rollering the paint too much
- not maintaining a wet edge.

Look closely at the patches, especially where they change from patch to patch. Is the surface left behind by the roller sleeve the same, can you see marks from where the roller stopped moving, and so on. We need more information.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”