smelly porch

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

Andrew

smelly porch

Post by Andrew »

Hi,

I think my post below is better off here:

smelly-porch-t95399.html

I have taken it all back to bare concrete. A slight smell still exists but is better.

What are my options? I was just going to get a damp proof membrane from toolstation (under a tenner) and lay that down.

This will make the floor moist underneath where it traps the water. Is this okay?

And does anyone know what I could do in the future with the rows of bricks under the DPC on either side?

Kind regards!
Rorschach

Re: smelly porch

Post by Rorschach »

Now this is not an official recommendation but it has worked in our case. Porch was built by my father on a self poured concrete slab. No DPC under the slab to my knowledge. The internal concrete floor is covered in a layer of Flashbanding type bituminous tape then a laminate floor was laid over that. No damp comes through it and there is no smell in there. So far the porch has lasted almost 40 years and is still in excellent condition for the most part. Some work has been done on it but this is general maintenance, not related to damp in the floor.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p33714

Like this perhaps?!

A 21st century method :dunno:
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Apparently it dries tacky according to a review.

I could put a membrane over that and then bobs your uncle.

Just after some validation please. That combination isn't going to set alight or format a black hole is it??!!

Cheers.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Can't comment on the paint. I know the flashband works well because it has a thick plastic tape on one side so stickiness isn't a problem, the laminate underlay floats on it perfectly.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Okay thanks.

Just read the small print and the paint says it needs a 50mm screed over it to work as a membrane. ::b

Will look into the flashband!!
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

It looks like you have taken the right steps. Was the smell at low level because sometimes it can be above the ceiling in a porch if water has crept in to the insulation and timbers. It tends to be a bummy smell. :thumbright:

DWD
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Lol! It was a manky musky smell.

Now the carpet and polythene has gone, the floor dried out.

I'm now wondering whether the steam clean re-activitated the smell and caused the damp floor (how it got through the polythene though escapes me). I think I'll tape a piece of polythene to the floor for a couple of days and see if it traps any water. If not, then perhaps there is membrane in there and the moisture was done by me and the smell was the carpet.

Still, I still have up to three courses of brick in the porch that are below the DPC. They could in theory be "moist" and letting off a damp smell perhaps.

Regards,

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”