Suspended timber floor. Replacement insulation repair!

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

JC1
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Suspended timber floor. Replacement insulation repair!

Post by JC1 »

First big job.

Rip out the rotten down stairs bathroom, and convert to small office space (lucky me)

Tasks!…
Rip out all stuff bathroom stuff, take to dump – done
Seal off waste/water feeds – done (with pretty tape!)
Rip off all old plaster board – part done
Replace Under floor insulation stuff that was ripped out during install! – NOW I’M STUCK

OK, I can see when house was built 60ish years ago they’ve used waterproof membrane across the joists, thin strip of wood along the joists to secure membrane down. Filled membrane with insulation (about 2”) and put floor boards down…(doesn’t seem sufficient for today’s standards for sure, but Im no expert :? )

Now my plan was buy/fit netting, fill it with leftover insulation from the loft! Put "moisture barrier membrane" down on top then fit floor boards. Any tips on where to buy the membrane?
Below is where the shower etc was. So I'll trim the old membrane to right angle of joists and tape to the floor boards with the right kind of duct tape, OK?. Any tips on the duct tape?? And needs to be moisture proof right? Not waterproof??
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 2248 times
So once sealed off the old moisture barrier I can put my netting down in the area above fill with :blah5: :blah5: :blah5: blablabla as said above

Thing is, when I check under the floorboards as below I can the partition for the next room, this is where the radiator pipes are coming from. You can see the old insulation has basically been abused when this was done! :-)
So I cant put my netting down at this spot here since its at the partition point between two rooms, so I cant get good access and lift the floor boards.
Worse yet is as I crawl about underneath there’s lots of points like this for radiators and electricity cables, when the old insulation has been recklessly tore out, such was the times I guess. What can/should I do with these hard to reach sections?
1 more question, as above picture the joist on wall side I can get my fingers up the back of it, so how to seal of airflow/insulate this piece? Duct tape?
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (609.5 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Now kinda worried I fek it up and end up with moisture issues. :help: :help:
JC1
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: Suspended timber floor. Replacement insulation repair!

Post by JC1 »

Hey
If you need anymore info or it doesn’t make sense let me know :)

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”