Plastering questions and answers here please

Moderator: Moderators

Koomber
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Insulation and plasterboard onto existing plasterboard

Post by Koomber »

I'm looking to put insulation onto an externsl wall with plasterboard already on it. The wall has has plasterboard stuck onto the old lath on battens and most of the old plaster from behind the lath is still there. This makes me reluctant to remove the plasterboard as it would generate a huge amount of mess.
The wall has a fair amount of unevenness to it so to level it out I was thinking about dot and dabbing the insulation boards onto it, getting it level the using additional screws into it for additional security. I'd then screw plasterboard onto the battens on my newly flat and plumb wall. Due to the curve on the wall some bits at the bottom would only be secured by screws whilst the top would have about 10-15mm depth of d&d on it.

Does this seem reasonable? Am I going to have to rip out all the old plasterboard and remove the lath then sort out the battens?
OchAye

Re: Insulation and plasterboard onto existing plasterboard

Post by OchAye »

Wouldn't the foam insulation that gets injected in cavity walls be easier and cheaper ... if it can be used? I understand you may end up with a room full of insulation but I don't know what other catches may exist.
Koomber
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Insulation and plasterboard onto existing plasterboard

Post by Koomber »

OchAye wrote:Wouldn't the foam insulation that gets injected in cavity walls be easier and cheaper ... if it can be used? I understand you may end up with a room full of insulation but I don't know what other catches may exist.
No idea to be honest, but given the nick of some of the work on the house I wouldn't want to chance it. Decided I'm just going to rip the wall out and reframe it.

Return to “Plastering Forum”