Unused 10mm2 cable in loft, options for power in loft?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

dualweaponword
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unused 10mm2 cable in loft, options for power in loft?

Post by dualweaponword »

Hi,
We've recently had a rewire done and the original plan was to run a 9.5kW shower but it's now running off the combi-boiler instead so I have a 10mm2 cable that goes into the consumer below with a 40A MCB.

Now decided to put a couple of double sockets up in the loft so was wondering what's the best and safest to go about it?

Thought about these options...
1. Attach 10mm2 directly into a 13amp double socket - imagine that's quite difficult and would restrict running other double sockets off it?
2. Replace cable with 6mm2 and MCB with 32A, same as the house sockets.
3. Buy an new mini circuit board often seen in garages and attach 10mm2 cable to that then run several sockets off it.

Anyone give any advice on what they would do?

Cheers,
Paul
Someone-Else

Re: Unused 10mm2 cable in loft, options for power in loft?

Post by Someone-Else »

It's your choice,

1) That I would like to see.

2) I don't see the point of changing the cable to a smaller one, and then what would you do with the 10mm?

3) Guess
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dualweaponword
Newly registered Member

Post by dualweaponword »

Can you suggest a mini circuit board that would do the job mate? E.g a screwfix or toolstation link? Cheers
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Either place sell them, it's your choice. (I might like "this one" and you may think its cr*p, so that's why its your choice)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
dualweaponword
Newly registered Member

Post by dualweaponword »

I'll have a look. Is it a problem that there will effectively be two RCDs protecting this circuit? Is a device attached in the loft causes a fault which consumer unit will trip?
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

dualweaponword wrote:Hi,
We've recently had a rewire done and the original plan was to run a 9.5kW shower but it's now running off the combi-boiler instead so I have a 10mm2 cable that goes into the consumer below with a 40A MCB.

Now decided to put a couple of double sockets up in the loft so was wondering what's the best and safest to go about it?

Thought about these options...
1. Attach 10mm2 directly into a 13amp double socket - imagine that's quite difficult and would restrict running other double sockets off it?
2. Replace cable with 6mm2 and MCB with 32A, same as the house sockets.
3. Buy an new mini circuit board often seen in garages and attach 10mm2 cable to that then run several sockets off it.

Anyone give any advice on what they would do?

Cheers,
Paul
Terminate the 10mm cable into a 60A Junction box and run 2.5mm cable from there to the sockets. Then swap the MCB for a 32A one if the sockets are a ring or a 20A one if it is a radial.

Small edit. I notice neither Screwfix or Toolstation seem to sell 60A junction boxes. So an alternative to that, if these are the only two shops you going to use is to use a cooker connection point instead of a junction box.

eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-gene ... /45080#_=p

Return to “Electric Forum UK”