Paint type for hall stair landing

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

trb08150
Newly registered Member

Paint type for hall stair landing

Post by trb08150 »

Morning Guys,

I'm currently working on our hall, stair landing and will be painting in the next few days. I have lined all of the walls and put a textured anaglypta below the dado rail to break it up a bit and hopefully provide some protection for the walls as well as masking some of the defects.

I'm not sure what type of paint to use over the paper however and am looking for some guidance. I will be painting the lining paper above the dado with a light colour (probably something fairly neutral just off white) and below the rail on the anaglypta probably a dark pastille green colour. I have always used good old matt emulsion in the past (I find Johnstone's very good and competitively priced) but after doing a few rooms have realised in the high traffic areas such as close to the doors the paint picks up marks fairly quickly and because it's water based you can't wipe it down, you just have to live with it :dunno:

Would it be better to use one of the wipeable emulsions such as washable matt or something like Crown clean extreme? I have used this in our kitchen and bathroom and found it to be brilliant, it wipes down no bother and can be scrubbed pretty hard without coming away. I can't see a problem with using something like this and hope it would provide some more protection in these areas and could be cleaned in future when the inevitable greasy hand marks appear down the stairs :sad:

Only issue I can see is in future if I decide to strip it all back will it be a night mare as the paper will have a waterproof coating on it or if we decide to change colour is it wasy to paint over? That and cleaning the brush and roller afterwards - I always find this a nightmare and the inevitable cheesy stringy effect takes place :angryfire:

Thanks in advance for any help chaps :thumbleft:
OchAye

Re: Paint type for hall stair landing

Post by OchAye »

I would have said Crown Trade extreme scrubable etc, Johnsons certainly has the same (don't know the name), and dulux has the Diamond stuff. If you use Crown Trade, dilute the first coat a bit more than you think you should (10% ???) and the second coat at 5% or whatever it needs to be workable, I don't know about the other makes.

Worry about removing the anaglypta when you come to it. It will take a bit longer and a lot more water. Getting the wall clean of old paste is more work than actually removing the paper.

Caveat, I am DIYer.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
trb08150
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”