Moderator: Moderators

*Natalie*
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Removing cupboards under stairs

Post by *Natalie* »

Good morning,

ANY HELP WOULD BE SO VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

I have a staircase with cupboards underneath running through my son's bedroom. I started to knock it through yesterday to reveal plasterboard and framework underneath. I suppose I expected this. But the framework was more sturdy than I expected (maybe 4cm x 4cm cross section). I think I need to check it is not supporting the staircase above before I continue?

The staircase is not straight. It has 2 steps, then you turn 90 degrees to the left, then walk up a further 8 stairs, then turn 90 degrees to the left again and finally 2 steps at the top. A sort of 'C' shape but all steps are straight (not curved).

If someone could tell me if I can continue I would so very much appreciate that help.

Best wishes

Natalie
Attachments
Inside view of lower cupboard
Inside view of lower cupboard
3a.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
This is the plasterboard and framework revealed so far.
This is the plasterboard and framework revealed so far.
1a.jpg (67.51 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
This is the cupboards I'm trying to remove back to flat walls and larger room
This is the cupboards I'm trying to remove back to flat walls and larger room
2a.jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Grendel

Re: Removing cupboards under stairs

Post by Grendel »

I'm not fully sure as to which timbers you are referring , if it's the horizontal one at the bottom of the first picture then that's just a shelf and can come out. As it is 4cm (or more properly used in building is 40mm ) square timber wouldn't be strong enough to support a staircase so I would doubt the timber to which you are referring is structural . Maybe another photo pointing to the timber might make it clear?
What's your intention with ripping out the cupboard if you don't mind me asking? I've been asked on several occasions to put cupboards under stairs ( got one lined up for a couple off weeks time) but I don't think I've been asked to remove one.
*Natalie*
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Removing cupboards under stairs

Post by *Natalie* »

Good morning,

Thank you so much for your kindness in responding.

Regarding the reason. I'll attach a photo. It is a north facing room and when it has furniture in it and on normal days it is very dark (alhtough not too bad in the photo). The stairs that run through part of the room into the attic bedroom have been boxed in and made into cupboards. However, they are large and protrude blocking the little light there is from coming into the room. Also, they take up a lot of space. The idea being to let the room be less dark and much larger. When they are hopefully gone, I am going to build a desk that runs along the whole wall they are currently taking up and around in front of the window.

The worry I have is that when I started to knock through the side of the cupboard I cam across vertical timbers - sort of 40mm size. This to me is quite sturdy but it is good to hear from you that they are unlikely to be structural. They do seem to be doing 2 jobs. 1. The plasterboard it attached to them but also they conincide with being the corner at the front where the door frame attaches to. I suppose, I just worry/worried that these vertical timbers are suporting the stairs?

I have jsut been to B&Q this morning and he seemed to think the same, that they were unlikely to be structural and builders usually use this sort of thickness for plasterboard framework. He couldn't be sure though. I have taken a few more photos:

Thank you so much

Best wishes

Natalie
Attachments
This is a pciture of the inside of the wardrobe looking outwards towards the door
This is a pciture of the inside of the wardrobe looking outwards towards the door
7.jpg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
this one is a close up view of the vertical supports that seem to be the framework for the plasterboard and the corners at te front to which the door frame is attached.
this one is a close up view of the vertical supports that seem to be the framework for the plasterboard and the corners at te front to which the door frame is attached.
6.jpg (109.78 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
This one just shows how much space they take up
This one just shows how much space they take up
5.jpg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
This is the view from the door of the bedroom.  Hopefully you can see how they block out light and space.
This is the view from the door of the bedroom. Hopefully you can see how they block out light and space.
4.jpg (105.9 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

Return to “Building Forum”