Hanging up small lightweight mirror with double sided tape

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

yr20405
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hanging up small lightweight mirror with double sided tape

Post by yr20405 »

I'm thinking of hanging small mirror on bathroom tile. Any double sided tape would you reccomend? instead of drilling holes through tiles with fixings.
kellys_eye

Re: Hanging up small lightweight mirror with double sided ta

Post by kellys_eye »

Gorilla do a double-sided tape that sticks like sh1t to a bedsheet. Don't expect to remove the mirror without breaking it though.
Don't take it personally......
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

i would mark with a pencil at the bottom on the wall as double sided can let what they are holding"slide" over time
if you get little or no movement your fine
we are all ------------------still learning
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

3M mounting tape is awesome stuff, they do 2 different versions I think, one is standard strength, the other is crazy strong (and expensive).
Its a double sided tape with strong glue on both sides and a dense foam in between. The most important thing is surface contact though, to equal the holding power of one screw you will need to cover a large proportion of the surface with tape to hold it and prevent creep.

Having said that, if I were adding a mirror to tiles and not wanting to drill holes I would use silicone to stick it in place. As K_e says though, any adhesive mounting will be a one time thing, you will have to break the mirror to remove it, but basic mirrors are cheap so don't worry about that.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Standard silicon isn't any good for mirrors as it reacts with the silver coating at least in some cases. Seen it used in dressing rooms at a theatre in oxford and the mirrors started coming off the wall .There is a specific "silicon" , for want of a better word , designed just for mirrors.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Yes you are right, I should have mentioned you want a silicone or other adhesive that says it is suitable for Mirrors. I have seen it mentioned on standard tubes though so it doesn't always need to be special stuff.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

:withstupid: x2

That's the stuff we've used a few times to fix mirrors in commercial toilets and changing rooms (shops, office blocks, hotels, sports centres, etc). You need to make sure that the gear is well in date (it has a best before date) and the glass needs to be supported in some way while it goes off, too, or it can slide down the wall. Goes off overnight - never lets go.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Rorschach wrote:Yes you are right, I should have mentioned you want a silicone or other adhesive that says it is suitable for Mirrors. I have seen it mentioned on standard tubes though so it doesn't always need to be special stuff.
It has a name you know... it's called

m-i-r-r-o-r a-d-h-e-s-i-v-e :wink:

I wonder if command strips might be a better choice given ( I assume) it's a rental ?

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/command-dam ... /p/0343539
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “General DIY forum”