Wardrobe Advice

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

kevinsmbuk

Wardrobe Advice

Post by kevinsmbuk »

Just finished installing sliding wardrobes into a recess that was already there. However I had to build stud work from the ceiling and on the rhs of the wall in order to ensure the gap was correct for the width of wardrobe doors and the height.

When plastering the wall to the left of the wardrobe it went off withing minutes, not giving me enough time to work with it and the finish is poor, so I have had to use easi-fill to sort out the dips and bumps.

Now when the wardrobe doors close they do not sit entirely flush with the walls either side. I have to adjust them to sit flush but this means the doors are not level. What would you do to solve the issue? I thought about using end fillets in the same colour and fixing them to the inside of the wardrobe where the door meets the wall, make sure they are level then infill the gap between the wall and the fillet using plaster?

Pic attached but hard to tell from that what I mean, you can see the door on the right has been tilted to sit flush with the wall but head on there is a 2mm gap roughly in the middle of the both doors where they meet the wall.
Attachments
wardrobe.jpg
wardrobe.jpg (187.06 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
dewaltdisney

Re: Wardrobe Advice

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think the best solution is to sort the walls out, probably not what you want to hear :cb . The reason the plaster went off was that the water got sucked out by the wall which happens if you do not seal it with a diluted PVA beforehand. Chip it back, and paint the area with diluted PVA. Leave overnight to dry and then put another coat on before plastering. The hot weather is not helping so get a nice mix that is stiff enough to work without slumping and holds. If you can get these side walls level then the rest of the door problems go away, if I have understood you?

DWD
kevinsmbuk

Post by kevinsmbuk »

That's the thing, I'm not new to plastering and used two coats of pva at 3:1 ratio. One the evening before and one just before. Waited until tacky that laid on first coat. By the time I was halfway through the first part wasnt able to be troweled up!

The problem on the right is where I have installed the angle beads I must have not leveled them correctly so the lower part of the wall is bowing outwards (towards sliding doors) meaning the upper part of the door won't sit flush.
dewaltdisney wrote:I think the best solution is to sort the walls out, probably not what you want to hear :cb . The reason the plaster went off was that the water got sucked out by the wall which happens if you do not seal it with a diluted PVA beforehand. Chip it back, and paint the area with diluted PVA. Leave overnight to dry and then put another coat on before plastering. The hot weather is not helping so get a nice mix that is stiff enough to work without slumping and holds. If you can get these side walls level then the rest of the door problems go away, if I have understood you?

DWD
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
kevinsmbuk

Post by kevinsmbuk »

Do you not think an end fillet in the same colour was fitted to the inside of the wall, packed out do it was level and the infill was filled with plaster would not do the trick?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I cannot work it out from your photo but trim hides a multitude of irregularities.

DWD

Return to “Building Forum”