old sash windows

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

fin

old sash windows

Post by fin »

ive been asked if i can open up a couple of old painted up sash windows in a victorian terraced property.

its a bakery that i go too for my dinner most days. its in the office/ staff meeting room and at the moment its canny warm in there.

ive opened these before quite easily. but that is when ive been taking them out. these are just to be opened to let a bit air in.

i had a quick look and one cord has been cut on each window.... for some mad reason haha.

i assume they will open but not stay open so will need a prop of some sort to stay open.

main thing though was security once ive opened them. so what would be the reccomended and preferably cheap option since its more for function rather than looks. i had thought just fit like a bathroom door shoot bolt to put in when they are closed. but is there anything else available? maybe have to be a specific type for insurance etc?
ayjay

Re: old sash windows

Post by ayjay »

One day it will all be firewood.
fin

Post by fin »

ok cheers ayjay so i assume that the first ones you linked work much the same way as the window locks on standard type opening timber windows? how would they be fitted?

and the second link looks like i would have to chop em into the frames?
fin

Post by fin »

where i live sash windows are now canny rare and seem only to be ripped out and replaced with new windows so this is probs a bit unusual

my cousins lives in hexham and her husband works in a joinery shop and they make loads of sash windows haha as thats all they fit round there with it being a conservation area.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

fin wrote:ok cheers ayjay so i assume that the first ones you linked work much the same way as the window locks on standard type opening timber windows? how would they be fitted?

and the second link looks like i would have to chop em into the frames?
They fit on the stile of the upper sash, at whatever height you want. You'll be able to open either the top or bottom sash (or both) until the other sash hits the stop. The second ones need chopping in.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

fin wrote: my cousins lives in hexham and her husband works in a joinery shop and they make loads of sash windows haha as thats all they fit round there with it being a conservation area.
I used to make a load at one time when we were doing re-furbs for a large Housing Association, (we got the sashes made elsewhere, but I used to do all the box frames, with just a table saw and hand tools). We used to gut the whole house and renew all the joinery, all the plaster, (with s&c render) often the floors as well.

The last one I did before moving to Hampshire was four storeys high, the only thing left in it was the staircase propped up with acrows from bottom to top - it was strange walking through the front door and looking up four floors to the roof - an Irish through lounge we called it. :lol:
fin

Post by fin »

ahh ok cheers dude. ill get some ordered up and go from there. so basically the barrel that you screw on stops the sash from opening.

looking at the windows it is a fixed top part and the bottom part is thr sliding up over bit

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”