Help choosing a dimmer switch please.

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

richard2552
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help choosing a dimmer switch please.

Post by richard2552 »

Please can someone advise on a suitable light dimmer switch for the following light fitting please? Preferably a chrome one as opposed to white. Thank-you.

Range Caelus
Style Contemporary
Finish Chrome effect
Material Metal
Height (mm) 450mm
Diameter (mm) 760mm
Dimmable Non dimmable
Number of lamps 14
Bulb Type Required G9
Bulb supplied Bulb sold separately
Maximum bulb wattage 40W
IP rating IP20

I know it says non-dimmable but i've seen this in a hotel and it was being dimmed.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Re: Help choosing a dimmer switch please.

Post by OnlyMe »

:welcomeuhm:

Of course it is dimmable. It uses G9 230V lamps.

Your dimmer depends on the lamps you fit. Do you want LED lamps or halogen lamps - ISTR the incandescent 40W lamps have been phased out.
richard2552
Newly registered Member

Post by richard2552 »

It says it doesnt come with bulbs but it did. If I get the details off the bulbs would that help to recommend which dimmer? Thank-you for your help.
richard2552
Newly registered Member

Post by richard2552 »

OK the bulbs that came with G9 240v-50hz 40W bulbs x 14. Please can you suggest what spec dimmer would work please? Thank-you
richard2552
Newly registered Member

Post by richard2552 »

Just a thought, ive seen G9 led dimmable bulbs on amazon so if I swap put the bulbs that came with the light for these will my problem be solved? Is it just the bulbs that determine if its dimmable?
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

:welcomeuhm:

14 x 40 Watt is 560 watts, a quick google brings up this https://www.myswitchshop.com/index.php? ... 98h3srqlo6

which will probably be suitable .

The LEDs you have found will be much lower wattage and would require a completely different dimmer.

Also note that if the bulbs you already have are halogen (I suspect they are) that dimming them will considerably shorten their lifespan.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

wine~o , you have written what I was going to write.

I was also going to suggest a varilight dimmer (not necessarily a ultra flat plate chrome one).

The lamps that came with the light are dimmable. But at 40W will require a 1000W dimmer.
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post:
wine~o
Rating: 7.14%
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Yes, as above.

It is the type of bulb that determines the type of dimmer you need (or even if a dimmer can be used). The supplied bulbs sound like they are of a traditional filament design (albeit probably halogen), and can be dimmed by a traditional type of dimmer. Provided the dimmer is suitably rated for the total wattage involved, as also mentioned.

With your light fitting the bulbs are replaceable, and you may perhaps want to replace them with a lower energy LED bulb. But in that case, an LED compatible dimmer should be used instead, so it is worth thinking about before the dimmer is bought.

Be aware though that with low energy can come greater complication. A lot of LED G9s are bigger than the standard (halogen) format, and not all light fittings have clearance for them so they aren't always an option. Plus, not all dimmable LED bulbs dim as successfully as halogen bulbs either; they tend not to dim to such low levels and some can be fussy about the exact dimmer used.
Kev
richard2552
Newly registered Member

Post by richard2552 »

Brilliant thank you for. Your. Replies. You've been very helpful!

Return to “Lighting”