Garage Mezzanine?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

dmrider_10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Garage Mezzanine?

Post by dmrider_10 »

Hi there. Im looking to increase the storage space in my garage, here t is:
IMG_7653.jpg
IMG_7653.jpg (76.97 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
IMG_7652.jpg
IMG_7652.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
IMG_7651.jpg
IMG_7651.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
IMG_7650.jpg
IMG_7650.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Im thinking of using the central beam, the back wall and the gable wall to support a mezzanine that covers around half the garage.

Is the beam suitable to hang from? Its 12x6in by the looks of it

Any suggestions or info would be appreciated, thankyou!
Attachments
IMG_7650.jpg
IMG_7650.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Garage Mezzanine?

Post by Job and Knock »

Tempting though it might seem I'm not sure that I'd want to hang anything from a queen post truss like that, after all it's designed to carry the loads transmitted from the roof so I wouldn't be happy about putting additional (unmeasured) loading onto it. I think that I'd prefer to fix a ledger plate to the wall either side, add some joist hangers and joist out to carry conventional flooring and then I'd not ne concerned about potentially overloading a structural roof support with the possibilities that it might move slightly and allow the weather in
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
dmrider_10

Post by dmrider_10 »

Thankyou for your reply. I hadn't planned on using that beam being an issue due to its size but fair comment.

When you say put a ledger plate to either wall, im assuming you mean to the back (no gable) wall of the garage and the front wall of the garage (not shown in pics)??? How then would I span that with joists? Its nearly 6m :shock: Or do I have the wrong idea?

Thanks
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Are you able to put any walls up or would that interfere with other uses of the garage?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

At 6 metres I'd seriously consider putting an RSJ (structural steel) side to side and then running the joists the short way, or as Rorschach suggests putting in a supporting wall half way across as both those approaches are likely to considerably reduce the cross sectional sizes of the timber joists you'll require
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
dmrider_10

Post by dmrider_10 »

Ok I really need to come back with some more pics really but my phone camera is cracked :oops:

The other end of that beam is sat on an RSJ which is the lintle over the garage door, which in turn is sat on a column of brickwork thats approx 3ft wide. In lieu of a picture, I have drawn the below diagram showing the opposite wall:
GARAGE.jpg
GARAGE.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 1519 times

As you can see theres not much scope for putting an RSJ in??? Or at least I dont think there is? Can an RSJ be used to span 6m with no support in the middle?

The reason for adding this storage is that my garage has actually been two garages (an old barn) for 5 years and I only own half of it. Im now losing the half that isnt mine and a block wall is being put up between the garage doors, so basiclally running parallel to that queen beam (but on my neighbours side of the beam about 2ft from it)

Maybe the block wall could be utilized to support soemthing between it and the gable wall?

Return to “General DIY forum”