3A Switched Spur to Aqualisa Shower

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

DIYMAN2018
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

3A Switched Spur to Aqualisa Shower

Post by DIYMAN2018 »

Hi All

We had an electrician in to wire up a 3A switched spur to our new Aqualisa shower pump situated in the loft. He wired it directly into the lighting circuit in the loft without an FCU. He says it is protected by the 6A lighting circuit and that it is safe and within regulations.

A number of questions arise as Aqualisa say this would break their guarantee if anything went wrong. I have thus disconnected it.

Firstly the 6A lighting circuit is actual on an MK LN5910 10B fuse. Isn't this a 10A fuse?

Aqualisa say the pump must be connected via a 3A switched spur via a 32A ring main and not a lighting circuit. Aqualisa also say it can't be on any other circuit due to fluctuations. If connected into an FCU connected to the lighting circuit does this matter as the electrician says that he can still do this?

Reading some of the forum I see that the FCU must be placed within the length of the flex from the unit, which is under 3m. Aqualisa recommend being able to switch the unit off when it's really hot outside like now. So I need an accessible switch in the airing cupboard. Can I actually just extend their cable so that the FCU is sited downstairs in the airing cupboard? Alternatively could I site the FCU next to the pump in the loft and then put a switch in the spur so that I can locate the switch in the airing cupboard?

Without having to lift carpets and floorboards, there is an easy accessible ring main downstairs that I could add a spur to and bring it up into the airing cupboard to site an FCU or switch. Reading the forums there are limits on the length of a spur. As I don't understand or have read the regulations about voltage drops I need to know whether this would work.

My alternative and a lot more work is to lift carpets and cut into flooring to connect into an upstairs ring main, which I'm trying to avoid at present.

Thanks
wine~o

Re: 3A Switched Spur to Aqualisa Shower

Post by wine~o »

:welcomeuhm:

First things first; The MI's always have to be followed.
Aqualisa say the pump must be connected via a 3A switched spur via a 32A ring main and not a lighting circuit. Aqualisa also say it can't be on any other circuit due to fluctuations. If connected into an FCU connected to the lighting circuit does this matter as the electrician says that he can still do this?
The only possible difference is that the lighting circuit may not be connected to an RCD; (depends on your particular CU) they are talking out of they're arris regards fluctuation...

Most shower pumps will draw less than 150 Watts. so the lighting circuit can normally be employed.

However the SFCU is a must, so that in the event of a fault the shower pump can be easily isolated without isolating the lighting circuit. (fault may occur in the dark)

Other stuff to be considered... soo get back to us if you need more.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

As wine~o says the RCD protection is probably a must.

I would probably fit a passive RCD switched fused spur and use the lighting circuit.
DIYMAN2018
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DIYMAN2018 »

Thanks for the advice.
I need the 5 year guarantee so will follow the MIs and definitely fit a switched FCU.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”