Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

DCst
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Building a multi-use staircase/storage

Post by DCst »

Hi all,

I am not a carpenter myself or a joiner, but I currently have a little problem and looking for some advise from someone who understands of this.
I have a studio flat with a high rise storage bit over a wall (looks very similar to a Mezzanine), however as it's a rental, landlord is adamant I cannot drill anything to the wall, so loft stairs are out of question.

I was only suggested to use a stepladder, but due to the angle of access because of the wall, plus not to mention to carry any boxes or even furniture there would be completely unsafe, especially as (it's a pretty big space still, and it would be perfect for a room mezzanine if it was not for the landlord deciding to not make any use of that space).

The only option that remains is to build a staircase as a bookcase/storage.
I have attached some examples below. However, when getting quotes from companies, the costs are way too high. I'd like to know how much this could actually cost in total to make, including getting the correct wood and build it. I wouldn't need any finishes done, as I can do these myself and paint it. Just really the basic structure, with open storage.

I'd really appreciate anyone advise on anyone who has a better idea on the true costs of making this.
It would have a height of 2.30m, and the base should be a maximum of 2 meters. Open to suggestions for its depth measurements.
57e12400e11d8d1c5b9e254f99745abe.jpg
57e12400e11d8d1c5b9e254f99745abe.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
Thank you.
dewaltdisney

Re: Building a multi-use staircase/storage

Post by dewaltdisney »

As you can see it is made up of a number of boxes fixed together to form the stairs. These boxes look like they were made from birch faced ply but the step faces and handrail look like a hardwood. It is a fair bit of work for someone with a machine shop to cut up the components, fix and glue up the 12 odd boxes and lip the cut edges. The handrail may have been bought pre made but if it. and the steps, were made from a single hardwood board then waste costs and machine time comes into play.

So the simple answer is 'more than you would think'. You will have the component construction and site assembly to consider, I think you would be looking at a minimum of £1000, more in London. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
DCst
Rating: 7.14%
DCst
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCst »

Yes, still expensive and I am in London.
However, and as a freelancer in the past, I do understand the time and effort that goes into building/creating things. Just wanted a better idea on costs, as to avoid being ripped off.

Thank you for giving an estimate on this. Much appreciated
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Look back in on here as some of the other guys might have suggestions. I may be way off on price so I am sure that you will get alternative views on costs in due course. :thumbright:

DWD
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

The example shown contravenes many basic building regulations for a staircase, if it's going to be used regularly you really ought to be looking for a different solution.

The pitch is too steep, risers are too high, (and variable) tread depth is too short, and the handrail looks too low in the pic.
One day it will all be firewood.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

oh I don't know what just happened. My lengthy post went missing.

Short version. What Ayjay said, and even if it didn't contravene all the regs
however as it's a rental, landlord is adamant I cannot drill anything to the wall, so loft stairs are out of question.
And it would deffo need several scews/fixings into the wall.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

With inadvertent deletion you can sometimes restore it with Ctrl and Z. Do not leave the page or type anything though :thumbright:

DWD
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

DCst wrote:It would have a height of 2.30m, and the base should be a maximum of 2 meters. Open to suggestions for its depth measurements.
Shelving Stairs 001_01.JPG
Shelving Stairs 001_01.JPG (25.12 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Which is presumably the reason why your landlord has decided he can't do anything with it - it would be so steep as to breach building regs (in other words it would be downright dangerous to use - just like the example you attached), as others have said. In terms of useability I also have my doubts - it would need to be about 600mm wide - making for extremely deep shelves - and for safety's sake it really does need to be fixed in place, regardless of whether it contravenes building regs or not (again, as others have said). Structurally it isn't really a difficult thing to make - it's just a simple series of boxes - and strength could be improved by using a solid back, but I feel that anyone taking the job on in the knowledge of what the intended end use would be on a bit of a hiding should there be an accident with it (the way liabilities go these days). I know that I'd need to think long and hard before agreeing to make it and that I'd refuse point blank to do a handrail for it.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”