Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

KONG
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice on a topcoat for kitchen cabinet doors

Post by KONG »

I need some advice on what to apply to my painted kitchen cupboard doors. I have used a water based paint with a matt finish and need to apply some sort of topcoat to make the surface resistant to oil/grease, minor scuffs and knocks and to give a high gloss finish. I’ve done some research and it seems that there are many different ways to reach this, but if anyone could give a definitive answer I’d be much appreciated.

What I have done so far... doors are made of fresh MDF (courtesy of the in-laws woodworking factory), which I have sanded, sealed and primed. Three coats of water-based Matt finish paint applied with a foam roller, with light sanding between coats.

Points to take into consideration... I don’t want any yellowing or major discolouration to the underlying paint as it is a light blue and will therefore be noticeable... don’t have access to a sprayer, but don’t mind buying suggested medium in spray can form... needs to be resistant to kitchen cleaning products and I’d like a high gloss finish similar to lacquered furniture.

Thanks for the help
Desmondo15

Re: Advice on a topcoat for kitchen cabinet doors

Post by Desmondo15 »

The simple answer would be to apply a polyurethane varnish in gloss.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”