Moderator: Moderators

Lothandyr
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What am I doing wrong with my cabinet?

Post by Lothandyr »

Hi,

I have been trying to change the colour of my laminate kitchen. I am stuck on my first door! I want want a nice smooth gloss finish. I thought that spraying would be the best way forward with a Wagner W100 paint sprayer. I have primed with Zinsser 123 and then thrown multiple coats of Ronseal cupboard paint on. The finish seems to have strange patterns in it no matter how deep I sand. I've tried going back to 600 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit, applying a cutting compound and polishing but I can't seem to sort it. Please advise!

Thanks.
20180720_150756hg.jpg
20180720_150756hg.jpg (195.57 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
dandecor
Newly registered Member

Re: What am I doing wrong with my cabinet?

Post by dandecor »

Looks like the paint doesn’t want to stick to the edging of that cupboard at the recess, it’s bubbled a little?

My guess is that it had some grease on the cupboard door or something similar and doesn’t want to stick.

With kitchen cupboards I go dulux trade super grip, undercoat, undercoat, topcoat, topcoat.

You’re never going to get the best finish on melamine mind but, with the sanding you’re doing you should be getting a nice finish.

Try degreasing, sanding wipe wash degrease then go back at it with the ronseal paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dubman2

Post by dubman2 »

i always put a coat of zinsser Bin before painting kitchen cupboards.
Lothandyr
Newly registered Member

Post by Lothandyr »

dubman2 wrote:i always put a coat of zinsser Bin before painting kitchen cupboards.
I did put a coat of that on, that's what I should've said. The primer went on great, was considering leaving it! but I wanted the blue.
Lothandyr
Newly registered Member

Post by Lothandyr »

dandecor wrote:Looks like the paint doesn’t want to stick to the edging of that cupboard at the recess, it’s bubbled a little?

My guess is that it had some grease on the cupboard door or something similar and doesn’t want to stick.

With kitchen cupboards I go dulux trade super grip, undercoat, undercoat, topcoat, topcoat.

You’re never going to get the best finish on melamine mind but, with the sanding you’re doing you should be getting a nice finish.

Try degreasing, sanding wipe wash degrease then go back at it with the ronseal paint.

The Primer went on great so I don't think there should be any issues with grease etc. Each time I sprayed the top coat the finish was a bit rough. I just thought I had to flat it then polish it but as in the pic that's not working for me. Do you sand between every coat? if so to what grit?
dandecor
Newly registered Member

Post by dandecor »

Like I said I suspect it’s grease, I’ve had a similar problem before but a bit worse.

All I can suggest is do a second cupboard door but properly degrease it and see if it happens again.

123 and super grip are fairly identical, not sure about using BIN on cupboard doors but we all stick to what we know works!

Lothandyr
Newly registered Member

Post by Lothandyr »

dandecor wrote:Like I said I suspect it’s grease, I’ve had a similar problem before but a bit worse.

All I can suggest is do a second cupboard door but properly degrease it and see if it happens again.

123 and super grip are fairly identical, not sure about using BIN on cupboard doors but we all stick to what we know works!

Ok, I'm starting again, wish me luck. :cb Thanks for the advice.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

It looks like a paint interaction, a good degreaser may help, what are you using to clean the gun ?

edit. is it a metallic paint ? it looks like mottling, iirc that a issue with what your thinning out the paint with or its still wet when your recoating it
Last edited by Bob225 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Did you do two coats of BIN? I find that the second coat gets it all nice and level and it allows you to gently sand it flat but watch the thinning on edges. Another cause can be atmospheric was it really hot and humid when you did it? I must admit it does look paint reaction, try meths to wash down.

Good luck on door two :thumbright:

DWD
Lothandyr
Newly registered Member

Post by Lothandyr »

Bob225 wrote:It looks like a paint interaction, a good degreaser may help, what are you using to clean the gun ?
I just flushed it with some white spirit, which I also used to thin down the paint before spraying.
Lothandyr
Newly registered Member

Post by Lothandyr »

dewaltdisney wrote:Did you do two coats of BIN? I find that the second coat gets it all nice and level and it allows you to gently sand it flat but watch the thinning on edges. Another cause can be atmospheric was it really hot and humid when you did it? I must admit it does look paint reaction, try meths to wash down.

Good luck on door two :thumbright:

DWD
I did use 2 coats of bin. The spray finish was even but stippled though. I sanded this to 600 before the paint went on. My garage was pretty cool when I created this mess. Is meths better than white spirit then? I didn't think that mattered. I'm not risking another door until I have a clue what I'm doing! I've already starting sand this one back. :huray:
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think methylated spirits is a good clean down. I always use it and I have had no failures. I think it has better degreasing capability. I think white spirit leaves a residue and this could have reacted with the paint. Sugar soap is also a good degreaser but you would need to wash that off well after. Try meths, if it goes wrong you can always have a good slug to lessen the pain :lol:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
OchAye
Rating: 7.14%
Lothandyr
Newly registered Member

Post by Lothandyr »

Bob225 wrote:It looks like a paint interaction, a good degreaser may help, what are you using to clean the gun ?

edit. is it a metallic paint ? it looks like mottling, iirc that a issue with what your thinning out the paint with or its still wet when your recoating it
No, it's not metallic paint, just grey/blue ronseal cupboard paint.
Lothandyr
Newly registered Member

Post by Lothandyr »

dewaltdisney wrote:I think methylated spirits is a good clean down. I always use it and I have had no failures. I think it has better degreasing capability. I think white spirit leaves a residue and this could have reacted with the paint. Sugar soap is also a good degreaser but you would need to wash that off well after. Try meths, if it goes wrong you can always have a good slug to lessen the pain :lol:

DWD
Ok, I'll give that a try. TBH I did think white spirits was hard work when cleaning, didn't seem to be as good as turps if i remember. Thanks for the help.
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

It's got to be the white spirit, just oily residue as above.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”