Colour stain new wood then Danish oil finish

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

trogg

Colour stain new wood then Danish oil finish

Post by trogg »

Hi, I want to stain some new cladding in vivid colours, ie red, green, blue etc was going to use craft paint, does anyone know of anything better ?
I then want to finish it off with Danish oil, will that be ok ?

thanks
OchAye

Re: Colour stain new wood then Danish oil finish

Post by OchAye »

I am confused :-) Stain is more or less transparent, that is it adds colour to the wood but you can still see the grain. What is this "craft paint" that will have both a strong colour and will allow the grain to be seen through? Do you mean something like shabby chic stuff?

I don't think finishing in oil will work. Oil needs to be absorbed by the wood let alone it will change the colour(s) you got.
trogg

Post by trogg »

Yes, a little like shabby chic but I want vibrant colours and I want it to be waterproof.
As far as I know craft paint is a type of acrylic paint.

Looks like i'm going to have to do a bit of experimenting, i'm about to clad a loft so i'll have a little play with the off cuts.

Thanks for getting back to me OchAye
trogg

Post by trogg »

forgot to say, I don't mind the grain showing, in fact i'd prefer it
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

When I first came to UHM there were some discussions about shabby chic on the painting and decorating forum, search it. You certainly though do not finish with oil. Look at polyvine which had at least one decorator's varnish designed to go over other paints.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
trogg
Rating: 7.14%
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I take it this is internal? If you are looking for a protective coat of varnish I think I would use an acrylic over an acrylic. Water based varnish will not discolour like solvent based varnish. In this instance you want it to lay a finish over the top of the colours, not really penetrate, as it is only a layer of protection to a softer paint finish. When you say cladding I take this to mean tongue and groove boards. It is essential to paint the boards before assembly as shrinkage will show white strips that will ruin the affect.

Or have I read this all wrong? :thumbright:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
trogg
trogg

Post by trogg »

yes you've got it lol, it's a long story but basically i'm going to convert a van into a campervan, I like the idea of real wood look but don't want it all the same.
I want to mix and match different colors throughout the 'walls' of the van.
I want a coloured stain ? then a protecting coat over so it's waterproof and easy to clean, and I want to keep the look of the wood, if that makes sense.

I'm about to board out a loft in cladding and I'll be treating it with Danish oil, I'll have plenty of timber to play around with.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Personally, I'd go for a conventional wood stain (a water stain - these are more controllable and allow you to build the density of colour in multiple coats - spirit stains are far harder to control) applied with a foam paint brush or 4in foam roller. Wood stains allow you to see the grain clearly whereas pigmented paints tend to look "muddy". Overcoat with several layers of acrylic lacquer, ideally a UV-resistant one Between each coating you'll have to let the finish dry and then denib it (white Abranet or foam sanding pads no coarser than P180 grit) and wipe off all the dust
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
trogg
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”