Does this look like damp?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

landlor
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does this look like damp?

Post by landlor »

I have recently received a house back from a tenant, and I noticed that the carpet in one of the rooms is heavily marked. I'm looking to claim against their bond money to replace it, but they are saying that they did not cause the marks from any spillage, and they believe that the marks are caused by damp. Apparently the marks "grew over time".

It is an old house, and the room does have a light smell of damp, but I am not convinced that these markings could have been caused from damp rising through the floor or something. Not had a problem with the carpets like this before.

I'd basically just like to get the carpet replaced and move on as quickly as possible. Just wanted to get some advice from people who may be familiar with what damp looks like so I know that I'm not going mad!

Rorschach

Re: Does this look like damp?

Post by Rorschach »

What's under the carpet, what is the subfloor? It does look like mould but mould in houses is normally black.
dewaltdisney

Re: Does this look like damp?

Post by dewaltdisney »

It looks like water damage to me. Any pipe leaks that have allowed a creep under the carpet? Is there any apparent ceiling repairs? Has there been an accident they caused, repaired and did not tell you?

DWD

Return to “General DIY forum”