Wire additional light from switch

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Makaveli
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wire additional light from switch

Post by Makaveli »

Hi

I would like to add a additional light if possible, wired from a light switch. Currently it is connected to a single light 1 Gang 1 way. I would like both lights to be controlled independently from the switch.

Reading around sites is not clear how I would go about this, I do have a neutral cable connected to the switch which I have read is necessary elsewhere.

I have attached a picture of my switch and will be changing the backplate and have a 2 Gang switch ready.

Could someone tell me if this would be possible and if so how I would go about wiring the second light to the 2 Gang switch and if would I wire the light any differently.

Thank you kindly for your help.
Someone-Else

Re: Wire additional light from switch

Post by Someone-Else »

Hi, just because it is black does NOT mean it is neutral. :sad10:

What you do have is Live and Switched Live. (Perfectly normal)

So this means you can not connect a 2nd light to this switch.

To add another light you will need to take a supply from the ceiling rose / light fitting
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

I agree; the black wire is being used as a live. This is a very common thing in lighting - ideally there would be a red marker/tape on the black wire to indicate this, but it is frequently omitted. One of the two wires will be permanent live, the other will become live only when the switch is closed between them, providing the switched live to the light. (Were the black wire really neutral as it may appear, then closing the switch would connect live to neutral, which would of course be bad)

So, there is no neutral at the switch, and this also is normal. Typically, only the live is switched (in domestic lighting), so there is no reason for the neutral to travel needlessly to the switch. Instead, neutral will be supplied direct to the light from somewhere else on the lighting circuit.

To install a second switch in the same pattress, you would need to run another wire to it - in order to provide at least a second switched live for the new independently switched light (possibly also a second permanent live to the switch, if wished). The new light's neutral, like the existing light's, would be supplied from some other point on the same lighting circuit.

I'm guessing from the question that you may not be familiar with such electrics; if so then i'd urge some caution should you decide to attempt anything yourself.
Kev
Makaveli
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Makaveli »

Thank you

Would i be able to run a wire for my new wall light from a light fitting that had been spured from an existing socket.

Would there be an issue with running an additional wire from this light fitting?

Since the bulbs will low voltage LED bulbs I wanted to make sure it would be able to handle the load.

I have attached photos of the wiring in the light switch that has been soured from the socket.

Thank You
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

not in general
if its being fed from a socket it must be from a fused spur to protect the wiring as its 6amp not 32-40 amp ??
best feed from your supply power from the ceiling rose to the next ceiling rose or light location
all that goes from the ceiling is a single wire to complete the circuit as in live wire and switched live back
with all lives and neutrals being fully contained up top :lol:
you need to continue to the new location at top level to keep constant
we are all ------------------still learning
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

No, but you could run it from the light switch. PROVIDING you new light is DOUBLE INSULATED (There appears to be no earth in your switch)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Lighting”