All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

orangepeel
Newly registered Member

Old concrete steps - reconfigure...

Post by orangepeel »

Hi All

Hoping you can help.

We have some concrete steps leading to our front entrance. They are structurally sound but risers and depths vary by 50mm or so plus they all slope by 20mm from front to back. As a result they feel difficult and dangerous using them - and have sadly claimed their first victim when my other half to slipped and broke her wrist last winter.

So I need to get them sorted. It's also a good opportunity to improve the curb appeal of the house.

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way forward.

My thoughts are to pave over the existing concrete allowing me to sort the levels out. It's a bit tricky though with the depths be so inconsistent.

Or is there a way of starting again without ripping out all the existing concrete?

I need something safe and modern looking to tie in with the rest of the work well be doing over the next couple of years. The front garden will probably be terraced with sleepers and could take levels for this from whatever I do with the steps.

Thanks in advance all.

O.
Attachments
1531642750046-720x720.png
1531642750046-720x720.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1593 times
Someone-Else

Re: Old concrete steps - reconfigure...

Post by Someone-Else »

Our front steps were a "bit rough looking" and our builder did just as you suggest :-) put paving slabs on them, much better now.
It has to be better since the other options are to lay a couple of inches of concrete, or rip them all out and start again.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
orangepeel
Newly registered Member

Post by orangepeel »

Thanks for the response. I think that's the way I'm going to do it.

If anyone could offer some technical tips on best place to start, how to go about it I appreciate it. Also would the fact that I may have to have joints cause an issue with drainage through joints?

Also not sure whether to clad the6 front of the steps too?

Thanks all.
O.
orangepeel
Newly registered Member

Post by orangepeel »

This is a bit of a bugger. The dimensions of step area all over the place.

Riser height is anywhere from 210mm - 260mm and tred depth anywhere from 290mm - 330mm. Once I start trying to make the riser and depths consistent it will have such a knock on effect that I'll be building a new profile..

What tolerances are acceptable?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

O.

Return to “Building Forum”