All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

szteff
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Drill stand for Dewalt hammer drill D25013

Post by szteff »

Does anyone know of a drill stand that would fit a Dewalt hammer drill D25013 or alternatively a drill stand that has an adjustable collar that can go wider than the standard 45mm?

Steph
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Drill stand for Dewalt hammer drill D25013

Post by Job and Knock »

I'm not at all sure why you'd want to mount an SDS drill in a drill stand, however, are you sure that the collar is bigger than Euro-standard collar (which, incidentally, is 43mm - not 45mm)?
deWalt D25013 SDS drill 001_01.jpg
deWalt D25013 SDS drill 001_01.jpg (29.93 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
In my own experience of SDS drills (which encompasses Bosch, Hitachi, Metabo, Makita, Atlas-Copco, Kango, etc) manufacturers don't go out of their way to make any provision for their drills to be mounted in a drill press. Typical problems include a tool release collar or chuck which is of greater diameter than the collar, non-circular collar (with detentes for the handle to mount onto), very short collar (too short to actually hold in a drill press), etc. Looking at the picture of yours I suspect that you'd struggle to insert it into a Euro-standard 43mm drill press - which is the standard that has been around since the late 1970s. The Euro-standard 43mm collar was adopted by every European and Japanese manufacturer between the mid-1970s and mid-1980s (even British firm Wolf adopted it eventually, as did the mighty Black & Decker) and there simply is nothing else available these days. With all the drills deemed suitable for mounting in a drill press coming with a 43mm collar why would anything else be needed?

On the other hand it may be possible to get hold of an old Wolf or van Dorn drill press which has an adjustable clamp, as these were certainly made, but any such item would be at least 40 years old, or more like at least 60 years old in the case of van Dorn (a one-time subsidiary of Black & Decker which disappeared before they moved from Harmondsworth to Spennymoor in the 1970s) and these drill presses might well require modifications (i.e. "butchery" with an angle grinder or hacksaw) to meet your requirements. Below is an example of a possibly suitable Wolf ES14 drill press:
Wolf ES14 Drill Press 001_01a.jpg
Wolf ES14 Drill Press 001_01a.jpg (275.4 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
although the top "horn" might need to be ground/cut off to accommodate the DW SDS drill. These can often be picked-up complete with a working drill (which might require a little bit of TLC - normally just new brushes) for £40 to £50 but at the age they are be wary of cracks, missing bits and excessive rust and expect tom do a bit of renovation as well because these items have generally spent much of their lives out in unheated, damp garages and sheds.

Whatever else, you should never use an SDS drill held in a drill press attachment with hammer action switched on - it just isn't safe.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Grendel

Re: Drill stand for Dewalt hammer drill D25013

Post by Grendel »

I had just that Wolff drill stand. Never used it so I stuck it on eBay and got a pretty decent price for it.

Return to “Tool Talk”