Outside tap issue

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

Tamgunner
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Outside tap issue

Post by Tamgunner »

Hi all new here I’ve just installed a diy outside tap kit from screwfix but the pressure is terrible the pressure on the kitchen tap is fine.

I have took the feed from the pipe that feeds the cold water tap no leaks any where. Could I use a full bore service valve or do I need to replace the hose going to the tap with pipe.?
Someone-Else

Re: Outside tap issue

Post by Someone-Else »

Not surprised, look at the diameter of the hose tail the hose connects to, it must be around 10mm.

Also there is the possibility the pipe was not punctured properly when you screwed on the tap.

In short, cut out the pipe install a t joint, and an isolation valve (so you can turn it off in winter) and run a copper pipe to your new tap.
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Tamgunner
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Any chance something got stuck in the pipe during install?
Tamgunner
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tamgunner »

Can I replace it with plastic pipe?
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Its worth checking the suggestions above in case there is a problem with it, but even at their best these things do have a restricted bore. TBH I wouldn't bother tinkering with the hose though, on the ones I've seen the wall-plate comes with a hose-barb rather than a pipe fitting, and the tap itself may be quite restrictive too.

If you want full flow then I'd suggest avoiding the DIY kits and (if you have the capability) doing it with proper plumbing parts (joints, pipe, wall-plate etc).

If you're really keen on flow, then I would also go for a tap without an in-built check valve. In theory one should still be fitted in line with the tap especially if using with hose pipes etc. (which is unfortunate as check valves can cause some restriction), but if you add one then IMO the inline/separate check valves are a better bet than built in.
Kev
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

I recently fitted an outside tap for my sister, buying the proper parts cost about the same as a tap kit and offers full pressure and a neat finish.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Tamgunner wrote:Can I replace it with plastic pipe?
You can use plastic pipe inside but only copper outside as UV light damages plastic pipe. Or you could use plastic outside but cover it from UV light in some way.

Return to “Plumbing Forum”