All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Tommo2482
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

5 meter extension pitched roof?

Post by Tommo2482 »

Hi, looking for a bit of advice - I've done a 3m and a 4m extension before and used a standard pitched roof from the house - the pitch and the span was just within regulation for the 4m extension.

The question is now I'm planning a 5m extension on my new house - what would be the cheapest and easiest way to do this as obviously the span exceeds the maximum for timber joists.

Any help appreciated !
ayjay

Re: 5 meter extension pitched roof?

Post by ayjay »

Tommo2482 wrote:Hi, looking for a bit of advice - I've done a 3m and a 4m extension before and used a standard pitched roof from the house - the pitch and the span was just within regulation for the 4m extension.

The question is now I'm planning a 5m extension on my new house - what would be the cheapest and easiest way to do this as obviously the span exceeds the maximum for timber joists.

Any help appreciated !
Use larger timber - (roof timbers are rafters, joists are laid level for floors), I've used both joists and rafters in over 7m spans before now so the span is not a problem with the correct sized timber.
One day it will all be firewood.
Tommo2482
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Tommo2482 »

Thanks for the advice, would I then need a steel purlin underneath ( the extension is 8m wide so timber won't do)?
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Can you not get trusses made from a truss manufacturing company? They are all engineered,made for you and light and easy to install.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

iirc the min pitch is 13º and a max of a 150mm head lap

what sort of tile ? cement, clay or slate ? BC with usually be ok with a minor spec change as long as you not in a conservation area

both Marley and Redland have the specs on there site most tiles are 15º or greater

Return to “Building Forum”