Patch repair: Finishing plaster vs easifill

Plastering questions and answers here please

Moderator: Moderators

pyrokeet
Newly registered Member

Patch repair: Finishing plaster vs easifill

Post by pyrokeet »

Hi all,

I'm sure it's a debate had many times before but thought I'd see if there are any new opinions.

Blown plasterwork, 2-3mm depth, patches maybe 300mm in diameter.

My current method is light coat of hardwall and then a couple of coats of easifill over the top (sanding inbetween). But I find easifill has the danger of absorbing water-based paint and 'plumping up', meaning it's no longer completely flush with the wall and sits slightly proud (you can see it in the right light). So I use an oil based sealer first before painting normally.

That's a many-stage faff so wondering if finishing plaster is a better way to go. I believe it's not really sandable though, so worrying if it's possible to get it completely flush with the wall for painting.

What do you think?
wine~o

Re: Patch repair: Finishing plaster vs easifill

Post by wine~o »

I buy Bartoline patching plaster for these sort of jobs, provided it's trowelled off correctly and then mist coated no need for any OB coat.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Rorschach

Re: Patch repair: Finishing plaster vs easifill

Post by Rorschach »

At that depth I just use easifill, take 2 coats though for a good finish. I either mist coat the whole wall or spot prime with peelstop well feathered out. If the entire wall is going to painted then it's invisible, if it's for patching and then you will always see the painted spot, inevitable really.

Return to “Plastering Forum”