Kia Sorento 2011 2.2crd start up rattle

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Sorento
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kia Sorento 2011 2.2crd start up rattle

Post by Sorento »

Can anyone advise on what could possibly be causing a rattle in the engine bay when I start the car when it has been left for a while, I am curious to know if anyone else has had this problem and what the solution may be.

Many thanks
kellys_eye

Re: Kia Sorento 2011 2.2crd start up rattle

Post by kellys_eye »

Isn't that the typical 'diesel rattle' that comes from the looseness of the pistons/cylinders until the engine warms?
Don't take it personally......
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

mileage ? if its over 100k miles, it will be lifter rattle the oil drains out of the lifters over time - replace the lifters or try a slightly thicker oil (it usually tells you in your service book) for higher mileage engines

when was the oil last changed ? being 2011 it will have a DPF and what happens with DPF engines is the fuel will over time thin the oil, does it smoke under load when warm ?
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Bob225 wrote:mileage ? if its over 100k miles, it will be lifter rattle the oil drains out of the lifters over time - replace the lifters or try a slightly thicker oil (it usually tells you in your service book) for higher mileage engines

when was the oil last changed ? being 2011 it will have a DPF and what happens with DPF engines is the fuel will over time thin the oil, does it smoke under load when warm ?
All these engines that pump out roughly 100bhp per litre, are highly stressed.
I'd be changing the oil and filter at less than the recommended 12, 500 miles.
About 8K I reckon.
I don't know anything about that engine really. I've always changed oil on everything I've had at much less than the recommended.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

with the wonderful euro 5 diesels they all get a DPF a side affect of the emissions control is it dumps raw fuel into the oil, diluting it iirc the 2.2 takes 0w30 or 5w30 (6.5-7 litres on a change) what's thin as it is add a well run in engine and diluted oil and you will get oil passing the rings, lifter noise, a blue smoke as well when its warm as the seals on the turbo let past

2.2 is a common rail, inline 4, turbo, iirc its the Hyundai R series engine, high output circa. 200bhp

iKN.

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”