Removal of gripper rods

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

parkgate

Removal of gripper rods

Post by parkgate »

I have removed the carpet and underlay from my stairs with a view to fitting a runner stair carpet and the painting the edges of the stairs, not covered by the carpet, white.

Removing the old gripper rods I am using a screwdriver and hammer to lever out the tacks holding the gripper rids in.This leaves a small gouge mark in the staircase which isn’t ideal!

Is there a way to remove the rods without damage?

Thank You.
Rorschach

Re: Removal of gripper rods

Post by Rorschach »

Several methods, putty knife and pry bar usually works well. You can also dig at the tacks on top of the gripper rod so any damage is limited to the rod itself.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

A old 1" chisel does the job for me with minimal marks
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Slide a stripping knife under the gripper rods before prising off with a screwdriver/chisel whatever. Sometimes the gripper rod breaks and you'll need a pair of pliers to remove the tacks.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

I bought a couple of cheap chisels for rough work and they do the job without a lot of effort

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+T ... sel/p40558

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

parkgate wrote:Removing the old gripper rods I am using a screwdriver and hammer to lever out the tacks holding the gripper rids in.This leaves a small gouge mark in the staircase which isn’t ideal!
Not with a screwdriver ... follow the suggestions above and pick the thinnest tools, e.g. scraper. Then you can use a bar like so http://www.olympia-tools.co.uk/products ... ility-bar/ there are some which are pretty thin on the ends. It is the width and (thinness) of the bar that will stop damage to the wood.

PS. I am not saying that the bar above is the thinnest there is (I have two different makes but not that one).

EDIT. Here is another example that I got somewhere https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Est ... y-Bar-15In probably too late anyway.
parkgate

Post by parkgate »

I used a wallpaper scraper with excellent results.

The problem I have now is to repair the gouge marks made when I used the screwdriver!

Thank you for your suggestions!
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

As you will be painting the wood white, a 2 part wood or car body filler would do.

If you decide you might want to keep the original look of the wood it is a bit more complicated. There are fillers in colour but you must judge the colour after you varnish a test area as the wood will darken with the varnish/oil or whatever you use. There are also fillers that will take stain and others that will not.

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”