No newel posts

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Watchnlearn
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

No newel posts

Post by Watchnlearn »

I currently have a built in stair rail balustrade (appears to be plasterboard over stud timber work with a wooden hand rail finishing the top of the plasterboard. I was hoping to convert it to an open spindle balustrade instead. I've already opened up a small 4 inch section where I was hoping to see a newel post. However, there appears to be a 2x2 timber, so I presume there are no newel posts and the balustrade is simply a 2x2 stud wall.

I would need to install complete newel posts as there aren't any newel posts present (and 2x2 is too small) for me to use peg newel posts. Is this possible to do with the staircase in situ or would it involve removing the whole staircase and starting again or even still installing a brand new staircase. I'm not very keen on removing the staircase or installing a brand new one.

Advice most welcome...
ayjay

Re: No newel posts

Post by ayjay »

Installing a newel post to an existing staircase is quite a challenging procedure for a diyer.

Is there no sign of an old newel post? If it's just been cut down it may not be too bad, but if it's not there at all you need to somehow achieve a strong joint between the string and the new newel. You might for example need to fit a loose tenon in the string to achieve a satisfactory joint.
One day it will all be firewood.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Perhaps a picture might help. Nothing is impossible , they just have varying degrees of difficulty.
Watchnlearn
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Watchnlearn »

ayjay wrote:Installing a newel post to an existing staircase is quite a challenging procedure for a diyer.

Is there no sign of an old newel post? If it's just been cut down it may not be too bad, but if it's not there at all you need to somehow achieve a strong joint between the string and the new newel. You might for example need to fit a loose tenon in the string to achieve a satisfactory joint.
No I don't think there are any newel posts at all. Loose tenon is beginning to sound complicated :scratch:
Grendel wrote:Perhaps a picture might help. Nothing is impossible , they just have varying degrees of difficulty.
I've attached some photos. Please ignore the crapet, we are currently renovating the house. From what is seen do you think it is possible?
IMG_4428.jpg
IMG_4428.jpg (211.99 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
IMG_4429b.jpg
IMG_4429b.jpg (307.93 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
IMG_4431.jpg
IMG_4431.jpg (308.01 KiB) Viewed 1776 times

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”