Any difference between weed wand gas and blowlamp gas?

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Timllfixit

Any difference between weed wand gas and blowlamp gas?

Post by Timllfixit »

Hi Gang

I recently acquired a small gas blowlamp head(camping Gaz t2000 I think). The gas was quite expensive in DIY places, but Laldi had some gas canisters for one of those weed killing blow lamps on offer at about half the price.
The torch fits on the canister, but doesn't burn properly.
Does anybody know whether the canisters for "proper" blowlamps differ( maybe a different pressure or whatever) from the ones for the weedkilling blowlamps in some way?
If not is my blowlamp head knackered?

Thanks
When all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.
arco_iris

Re: Any difference between weed wand gas and blowlamp gas?

Post by arco_iris »

Timllfixit wrote: Does anybody know whether the canisters for "proper" blowlamps differ
No I don't.

I thought they were all butane gas, have you tried adjusting / is there an adjustment on the blowlamp head?

Mine, which I have run on various canisters of differing shapes, even if the head does not appear to fit the canister they have the same thread, has a slotted screw that locks the outer tube to the inner nozzle. Adjusting it must alter the amount of air being mixed with the gas and consequently varies the point of the blue cone of burn.

This is like adjusting the tube of a bunsen burner in a schoolchemistry lab. between flickering gentle flame and roaring torch.

Like the difference between soldering a plumbingfitting and burning off old paint.
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
Timllfixit
Rating: 7.14%
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I had a similar question . When my propane cylinder finally gave up I thought why not use one off the 15kg butane cylinders I already had . I connected the hose to the regulator on the butane cvylinder and gave it a go. The gas came out but not at a very decent pressure. Asked a friend of a friend (ex british gas ) who did say propane and butane do gasoff at different pressures although the regulator was also playing a part and doing just that , regulating the gas flow.
Some canisters have a mix of gases , for example in jetboil they use a propane/isobutane mix for what they say is optimum performance so that too may play a part. In all honesty I still don't know for sure.
These users thanked the author Grendel for the post:
Timllfixit
Rating: 7.14%
Timllfixit

Post by Timllfixit »

I can't see any other adjustment on the flame head other than the "volume" knob.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.

Return to “Tool Talk”