Plug vs spur question

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
llihp
Newly registered Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Plug vs spur question

Post by llihp » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:23 am

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

I have an electrical appliance that needs to be wired to a 3a unswitched fused spur. I intend to have this done, but wanted to set it up beforehand so I was considering just connecting to the mains temporarily using a lead with a 3a plug.

Will this be safe?
User avatar
wine~o
Senior Member
Posts: 24612
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: hants/dorset border
Has thanked: 1315 times
Been thanked: 3615 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by wine~o » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:09 pm

:welcomeuhm: should be fine, best to share what appliance this is though.
Verwood Handyman

Verwood Handyman


___________________________________________________________________

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
User avatar
arco_iris
Senior Member
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:27 pm
Location: SW Wales & W Tenerife
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by arco_iris » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:55 pm

llihp wrote:......connecting to the mains temporarily using a lead with a 3a plug.

Will this be safe?
:withstupid: except wine~o also meant to say,

"as long as it isn't in a bathroom"

didn't he.
llihp
Newly registered Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by llihp » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:58 pm

It's an intruder alarm. Basically I'll be installing it in another property, but want to have a play around with it first.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:01 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 602 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by OnlyMe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:24 pm

That's fine. If the alarm is going to be on a bench or table while you test it put a knot in the temp supply cable inside the alarm panel so that the cable cannot be pulled out of the screw terminals.

And :welcomeuhm:
User avatar
someone-else
Senior Member
Posts: 8801
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 1484 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by someone-else » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:24 pm

llihp wrote:It's an intruder alarm. Basically I'll be installing it in another property, but want to have a play around with it first.
The only "problem" with that is you will not be able to test it, unless you add some devices, (most now require resistors, not just closed loops, or if its radio you will need several devices)

My point being, its usually better to install it, then "play with it" by all means read the manual cover to cover then side to side, but I wouldn't recommend your idea, for the afore mentioned reasons. (Nothing wrong with plugging it in, its just how will you test it with nothing connected?)
Fret not, a forum is a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here
User avatar
kellys_eye
Senior Member
Posts: 10338
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Oban
Has thanked: 290 times
Been thanked: 1562 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by kellys_eye » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:09 am

someone-else wrote:
llihp wrote:It's an intruder alarm. Basically I'll be installing it in another property, but want to have a play around with it first.
The only "problem" with that is you will not be able to test it, unless you add some devices, (most now require resistors, not just closed loops, or if its radio you will need several devices)

My point being, its usually better to install it, then "play with it" by all means read the manual cover to cover then side to side, but I wouldn't recommend your idea, for the afore mentioned reasons. (Nothing wrong with plugging it in, its just how will you test it with nothing connected?)
That's like someone saying they want to test drive a car and 'you' suggesting they need to put fuel in it first........ :roll:
sent from my laptop using my fingers - because we REALLY need to know where it's come from.....
User avatar
someone-else
Senior Member
Posts: 8801
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 1484 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by someone-else » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:48 pm

kellys_eye wrote:That's like someone saying they want to test drive a car and 'you' suggesting they need to put fuel in it first........ :roll:

Not at all, just the truth.

How is he going to "Test" is if there is nothing connected to it? answer, he can't. He won't know if (for example) the exit time is too long, he won't know if the external siren works, the list goes on.
So I am saying its pointless "Testing / playing with it" on the bench unless there is something to connect it to, so if you are going to do that may as well install it and only install it the once.
Fret not, a forum is a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:01 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 602 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by OnlyMe » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:32 pm

someone-else wrote:
kellys_eye wrote:That's like someone saying they want to test drive a car and 'you' suggesting they need to put fuel in it first........ :roll:

Not at all, just the truth.

How is he going to "Test" is if there is nothing connected to it? answer, he can't. He won't know if (for example) the exit time is too long, he won't know if the external siren works, the list goes on.
So I am saying its pointless "Testing / playing with it" on the bench unless there is something to connect it to, so if you are going to do that may as well install it and only install it the once.
It could be wireless :hiding:
User avatar
Kev888
Senior Member
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 1:38 pm
Location: Derbyshire
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:52 pm

In this case, I suspect the unswitched fused connection is recommended simply to stop people unplugging or switching the alarm off by accident. For just setting it up then, electrically, I see no problem with using an equivalent 3A fused plug instead.

If it is programmable, then perhaps check it has a non-volatile memory to retain settings when you transfer. But almost all do these days, or else can be sustained by the battery whilst you transfer it to the proper circuit; it would be very rare not to.
Kev
User avatar
someone-else
Senior Member
Posts: 8801
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 1484 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by someone-else » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:09 pm

The plug and fuse was never a question.

It's the "testing" (on the bench) I am seeing as pointless. Also pointless programming it in case what is on site is not what you thought was there. (Even though its supposed to be there)
I can understand if its your first time with a new panel, but then you will want to set up some devices to see what it can / can't do compared to your usual panel, or if you want to set it up to save time, again how will you know its right, and if you are familiar with the panel then setting up will not take long on site. Not to mention radio devices and foil lined plaster board walls
Fret not, a forum is a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here
User avatar
Kev888
Senior Member
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 1:38 pm
Location: Derbyshire
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 pm

someone-else wrote:The plug and fuse was never a question.
I believe that you and i may have understood the OP differently, then. Which is fine, but different horses and all that.

FWIW prior testing has been most valuable to me in the past with first use of unfamiliar alarms, so I will not dismiss it without more info.
Kev
llihp
Newly registered Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Plug vs spur question

Post by llihp » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks for all the responses. :)

I haven't got round to it yet, but to respond to some of the questions around testing etc... It's a wireless alarm and really all I intend to do is to familiarise myself with things like:

- How to connect the wireless keypad and a PIRs
- Connecting the control panel to my laptop and using the software to fine tune configuration

I've read the cover from page to page a number of times, but the manuals are no substitute for having a go! Fully appreciate I won't be able to fully configure it etc...
Post Reply

Return to “Electric Forum UK”