Why you lining though

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

dandecor
Newly registered Member

Why you lining though

Post by dandecor »

I left college just over 10 years ago, we were always told lining paper is for even porosity to be used underneath a finishing paper.
It just happens that as sort of a bi product it is also used to hide imperfections but you can almost always overcome imperfections with proper thorough preparation. Sand fill, sand and fill and lastly sand again.

It takes about the same amount of time using hand tools to prep or to line a room. I’m guessing less with a mirka?

Thing is thick lining paper leaves a texture and that’s not very pleasing considering you could have just prepped it via sanding and had a better result.

What’s your thoughts?

How often are you lining?
Now don’t get me wrong if it’s absolutely ducked I will go for a heavy lining paper but I feel like it’s an injustice to have an ugly texture given from the paper when you could have prepped it. I see loads of new builds (10yr old or so) with lining all over and I’ve got to ask why when the plaster is fine, it’s just someone cocked it up with a bad paint job to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wine~o

Re: Why you lining though

Post by wine~o »

I'll quote Colour republic rather than type my own reply...
Colour Republic wrote:Under pulp wallpapers i'll almost always use 1000 grade Mav Pro which is a pulp liner- http://www.erfurtmav.com/erfurt-mav-wal ... 1000-grade (hate their Red Label offering a lot of stores stock) Any imperfections that would show through a 1000 grade liner should have been sorted out before. Lining paper isn't an excuse for poor prep IMO

I always cross line. The whole issue of seams meeting is way down the list of why I do it. The top paper is always trying to contract left and right, by cross lining with pulp liner, then the liner is contracting top to bottom. To a certain degree these forces are held in suspension when acting against each other. Engineered or plywood is dimensionally more stable than regular solid wood, it's a similar effect.

Besides cross lining is way more quicker than lining vertically. The first top piece can take a little time but is easy to do on a hop-up if you haven't got high ceilings. Past this point everything can be done off the ground. say the wall is 4m wide and 2.4m high. Cross lining requires 5 lengths and needs a hop-up or ladder for just one of those. Vertical lining requires 8 drops and means you have to go up and down the ladder all 8 times. If you think it's a faff cross lining, it's because you don't know how to fold your paper and you should learn. In fact I fold my paper the same if i'm cross lining, vertically hanging, even the same when papering a ceiling. It's very easy and very manageable. Maybe some have got in to the bad habit of just folding the paper in to the middle? Maybe the same people who need 2 or 3 people to paper a ceiling rather than on their own, or worse, the people who unfold a drop and just let the paper fall and then wonder why the pattern doesn't match up... might have something to do with stretching the paper there!?

If it's a non-woven (or paste the wall) wallpaper, then you don't 'need' to line and it's entirely up to you if you do. You might be doing it to cover small imperfections like heavy paint stipple, in which case i'd suggest a non-woven liner. Or you might be doing it because the wall has issues and needs stabilising, in which case i'd suggest a non-woven fibre wall liner to help add strength to the wall.

If you're lining the walls to paint, then i'd always use a non-woven liner and in most cases i'd use one with a smooth finish and as opposed to fibreous texture. Something like Mav Premium 200 http://www.erfurtmav.com/erfurt-mav-wal ... escription
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
dandecor
Newly registered Member

Post by dandecor »

I wonder if that’s the concertina fold he uses on vertical drops.

Thanks! I’m going to spend the next 3 days looking at lining paper now.

wine~o

Post by wine~o »

dandecor wrote:I wonder if that’s the concertina fold he uses on vertical drops.
I'd have thought so. Hope you don't mind the "quote" It would have taken me a good 1/2 hour to post summat similar with my 2 fingered typing *cough* skills.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

I am clueless about wallpapering of any kind but Dynamod (bouncing elephant) on my moan about some lining paper I could see at work having a texture mentioned some paper(s) that did not. You might want to search this site.
dandecor
Newly registered Member

Post by dandecor »

wine~o wrote:
dandecor wrote: I'd have thought so. Hope you don't mind the "quote" It would have taken me a good 1/2 hour to post summat similar with my 2 fingered typing *cough* skills.
Not at all that’s really helpful to be honest, thank you. I’ve got to admit I don’t know everything and I haven’t been taught absolutely every single product there’s hundreds to look at for decorators. I always look at a job and think how can I give it the best possible outcome and after reading that it’s more knowledge on lining paper that I need! Haha

Thanks very much.

steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

OchAye wrote:I am clueless about wallpapering of any kind but Dynamod (bouncing elephant) on my moan about some lining paper I could see at work having a texture mentioned some paper(s) that did not. You might want to search this site.
I think dynamod,Color republic and fitzy have all left the building now,not really got many deccys left on here now which is a shame.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
OchAye
Rating: 7.14%
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

steviejoiner74 wrote:
OchAye wrote:I am clueless about wallpapering of any kind but Dynamod (bouncing elephant) on my moan about some lining paper I could see at work having a texture mentioned some paper(s) that did not. You might want to search this site.
I think dynamod,Color republic and fitzy have all left the building now,not really got many deccys left on here now which is a shame.
Yup. But google is their enemy :mrgreen:
Here is a thread that might help dandecor lining-paper-t91531.html although I am sure I am/was thinking of something older.
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

steviejoiner74 wrote:I think dynamod, Color Republic, and fitzy have all left the building now
CR has gone and fitzy seems to have closed his account, which is a real loss, as they were both very knowledgeable contributors. I'm still around (though a bit less often these days) for what that's worth :mrgreen:

To address the OP's points regarding lining versus extra preparation, I think it should be pointed out that lining isn't a substitute for correct prep (though admittedly that was never said or implied). My take on lining paper is this.
  • 1 I line under every finish paper I hang for the following reasons. The suction of a liner and the evening out of porosity creates a uniform level of grip and holds seams far more effectively than going straight onto a wall with the finished paper. The balance of cross-tension against the vertical tension of the finished paper is also a reason I line, as CR pointed out. Some non-woven covering will work fine without the liner, but I do it simply for peace of mind with those papers.

2 I'm seeing more papers (especially these paste the wall affairs) which are semi-transparent, and could potentially show the wall colour(s) through the pattern in certain lights. Liners are essential with these papers.

3 On the subject of emulsion and the texture of heavy liners, I do the following when painting. If the wall is old and uneven I do one of these. Either cross-line with 1400/1700 then vertical hang over this with 600/800, or install something line Wallrock Smooth Fibreliner. Also, if there is the likelihood of new plaster developing cracks in an older building, I may install a smooth fibreliner in these instances.
Hope this is of use to the OP (or others) :salute:
These users thanked the author dynamod for the post (total 2):
OchAyedandecor
Rating: 14.29%
Nihil expectore in omnibus

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”