Car scratch repair cost

Vehicle maintenance and repair questions in here please for all questions relating to Cars, Vans etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Aristophanes88
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Car scratch repair cost

Post by Aristophanes88 »

Hello there,

I managed to scratch my car against a brick pillar while pulling into a tight driveway. Does anyone have any idea how much this will take to fix? There are both superficial and deeper scratches which have taken away the paintwork. I've contacted ChipsAway for a quote but haven't heard back so far. Pics are attached if anyone could kindly give a rough estimate of what I can expect to pay.

Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_3727.JPG
IMG_3727.JPG (74.93 KiB) Viewed 4040 times
IMG_3728.JPG
IMG_3728.JPG (44.9 KiB) Viewed 4040 times
IMG_3729.JPG
IMG_3729.JPG (45.74 KiB) Viewed 4040 times
IMG_3726.JPG
IMG_3726.JPG (64.36 KiB) Viewed 4040 times
wine~o

Re: Car scratch repair cost

Post by wine~o »

Chips away will be hugely expensive. Google car body repair shops in your area ... visit a few.

Last time I needed a little job like this done the quotes varied from £ 150 (a complete chancer, glad I visited) to nearly a thousand squids.

In the end 2 panels (which is effectively what you have there) was £340 plus VAT. next nearest quote was £ 440 plus VAT.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

wait for a quote tbh, prices vary greatly across the country - the bumper and wing will need blending and may be even need blending into the bonnet

white is just one of those colours it take skill to get the match right
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Take it to a couple of places, let them see all, and ask them, then you will know for sure. As said labour rates vary across the country, and If a person on this / any forum said £250 (for example) and the best recommendation place said £400 what will you do? You can't really say a person on a forum said that's too much it should only be £250. (suppose you could try :-) )
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Also, when you ask for prices make clear to them you are not claiming from your insurance ... for whatever reason, e.g. your excess is too high and not worth claiming.
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

There's Xpress repair centres at some Tesco's now..... https://xpresscentres.co.uk/

Just saying....................... :shock:
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Body repairs are very expensive these days I damaged the bumper on a Mondeo and it cost £1200 for a whole new bumper which I had to claim for. I thought it would be a fill and spray for £400 but clips were broken on the plastic parts. A good body man would fill and spray that up to the swage line and blend the edges. What I suggest is calling in at your car showroom and ask who they recommend to do their minor repairs for used cars (they all use them) and this way you might find an independent cash job.

Good luck, I know how gutted you must feel with self inflicted damage, I was.

DWD
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Got a few bits of damage on my car (the missus mostly, and arseholes in car parks). When I found out the cost of repair I touched them up my self. Repair was more than the car was worth :lol:
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Put into Google "smart repairs (town)" - for town insert nearest big one to where you live!

The smart repair system mixes small amounts of paint on the spot, matching it to the vehicle. Very often the operators are mobile and will do the job at your home or place of work out of the back of a van.

Chipsaway use this system, but not cheap - small independents, especially good ones, will have portable awnings so they can work in the rain, and heaters to bake the paint. Granted a few years ago, but the last job I had done was similar to yours, £180.
Aristophanes88
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Aristophanes88 »

Thanks for all your very helpful replies and comments. I've taken it to a couple of repair workshops for quotes and I managed to get one for £200 which I think is a good price, especially considering there is a little dent in the wing too (which I hadn't really noticed). The other garage quoted me £320. The Chips Away guy told me he couldn't beat the £200 quote so I think I'm gonna go with that :thumbleft:
These users thanked the author Aristophanes88 for the post:
dewaltdisney
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Vehicle maintenance & Repair”