Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

sastek
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Replacing a chipboard floor

Post by sastek »

Hi folks, because of a leaking pipe, I have to replace the chipboard flooring in my hallway. The current system is 25mm battons nailed to the concrete with white polystyrene insulation between them, then the chipboard is screwed on top. Everything is wet so it all has to come out.

I wanted to ask if it is OK to just replace everything as it was, or if there is a better solution or regulated way to do it? I can't change the height because the floor has to meet up with the rest of the hallway. Also, should I lay a plastic damp proof sheet on the concrete?
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Replacing a chipboard floor

Post by Job and Knock »

Replace with the same thickness. If you go the chipboard route I'd recommend something like Egger P5 T&G chipboard with the tongues glued. P5 is moisture resistant. Alternatively same thickness hardwood plywood could be used in which case I'd suggest that you groove the edges and glue-in a loose tongue (1/4in or 6mm plywood). Battens should be tanalised (treated)
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”