wireless doorbell

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

jseymour
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

wireless doorbell

Post by jseymour »

I need to wire 2 doorbells with total of 35meters of bell wire. (The wireless bells I've used are just not reliable)
From what I've read i'll need more than a 1a transformer. I've also read that a laptop transformer could be used, I have a spare 19v 3a and a 12v 2a transformer...would these be suitable?

I also want to rig a reed switch into one bell push so it rings the doorbell when the gate is opened.

thanks in advance :love10:
Someone-Else

Re: wireless doorbell

Post by Someone-Else »

You are right, wireless doorbells are pretty much rubbish.

What you have read about using a laptop power supply is also rubbish.

To rig a reed switch to a gate is also rubbish.

You do seem to read a lot of rubbish don't you. :-)

I shall explain.

Wire has a resistance, the longer it is the more resistance it has. The thinner it is the more resistance it has.
The last fact can be used in reverse.

The bigger it is the less resistance it has :-) We can use this to over come the distance problem. Instead of using a pair of doorbell wires, we can use (the easiest to understand) TWO pairs of door bell wires. So using your 30 feet as an example, if we used TWO pairs, the door bell would "Think" the bell push is only 15 feet away

Or we can use a bigger cable instead. Its your choice.

Either way you still use the original doorbell transformer.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

"Rigging a reed switch" to a gate sounds a good idea, but its rubbish.

How are you going to rig it is the first question?

Also reed switches are normally closed, so when the gate is closed the door bell would continuously ring, on the flip side. if it did work, (which it doesn't) as soon as the gate is opened the doorbell would ring until the gate is shut, it will drive you up the wall.
(Not to mention the back emf of a door bell will shortly weld the contacts closed in a reed switch)

The other thing, gates are normally outside, you would need a waetherproof reed switch to do it.

If the gate is slightly sheltered there is a door bell switch that you mount just above the door (gate) and as the door passes it momentarily operates the door bell. Much better idea

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

someone-else wrote:
Also reed switches are normally closed,
Bullshit - you can get them in normally open or normally closed conditions or even 'change-over' if you want them.

We run a digital doorbell system right across our property and have fitted door sensors on all the important entrances - the system allows each door sensor to be 'linked' to it's own specific ringer and any number of ringers around the place. As a result we know which door has been opened at any time. They only ring on 'open' - not on close.

Adapting one of the senders to fit a gate is simplicity (although the manufacturers were supposed to be introducing a specific sensor for this purpose I haven't followed through as we have installed and run the system to suit our requirements as-is).
Don't take it personally......
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

kellys_eye wrote:
someone-else wrote:Also reed switches are normally closed,
Bullshit -.

No its not, and you know full well its not.

I admit I should have said the most common reed switches are Normally closed.

And if you want to be pedantic about it, the reed switches themselves are normally open, but when used are used as normally closed, and yes you can get change over ones, but they are not as common.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”