plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

Jim Jam
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Neighbour connecting soil pipe to mine

Post by Jim Jam »

We bought our house from the same guy that owns next door. That house was rented but now he’s doing up up to sell. It originally had a soil pipe from an upstairs loo connecting to the down pipe from our loo. He then decided to take the loo out and he said we’d be glad as he knew we were never really happy. I’ve come home and he has reinstalled the bathroom and connected his waste to my downpipe again. My issue is that if people living next door block the loo then it will potentially affect us. I feel a bit weird having their waste going to our man hole in the garden. It’s unfortunate as he has allowed us to run a cat containment wire on top of his roof and he might start a tit for tat. Any ideas?
Rorschach

Re: Neighbour connecting soil pipe to mine

Post by Rorschach »

Well eventually all soil pipes connect together at the sewer so the manhole in your garden isn't yours as such, it's a public utility.
Jim Jam
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jim Jam »

I suppose it’s the fact that the soil pipe comes out of the back of his house over his extension and then cuts across to my property to join my soil pipe (on the second floor). My soil pipe then continues down the back of my house and runs to the man hole in my garden. Rather than (somehow) exiting his house and running to his man hole. Perhaps I should post a picture.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

:welcomeuhm:

Yep, pics please.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
chrrris

Post by chrrris »

Yes, pics would be useful. If I was asked to connect a soil pipe to a stack on a neighbouring property, I would want the freeholder's written permission, including any required permission to access their property to fit it. And I'd knock on the door to verify it all in person too.

I'm no lawyer, but I very much doubt it's legal to just randomly connect a soil pipe to somebody else's stack. If nothing else, the stack is part of the fabric of your house -- it's your property and therefore not for someone else (whether a neighbour or a tradesman) to decide it's okay to cut or drill into.

Having said all of that if you, or a previous owner of the house, has given permission, then I guess that would rather muddy the waters -- but all of that is "legal stuff" rather than "plumbing stuff". It might best be dealt with by a trip to the CAB (or to a property lawyer if you are minted).

From a technical point of view, there's no problem with it as long as it's all fitted correctly and accordance with building regs. It shouldn't affect your loo, and there's no more chance of a shared drain blocking because it's above ground rather than underground where they usually all meet. Flats usually have shared soil stacks, and it's no problem.
Haste is the enemy of quality.

Return to “Plumbing Forum”