Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Oben88
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Job Need A Heads Up

Post by Oben88 »

Hi everyone I’m new to the group. I’m a qualified Joiner since 2009 but haven’t had an actual joiners job for the past 6 years. I’ve recently wanted to get back into it and have just been offered a new job which I’m over the moon to get started with. I have all my hand tools and cordless battery drill/driver and jigsaw. I’m lacking in power tool area with planer, chop saw, circular etc. The company have said they hire tools for employees for things they don’t have. I don’t really want to splash loads of cash on brand new stuff and turn up with all this brand new gear but also don’t want to look not equipped for the job. Like I mentioned I haven’t been doing it for few years so have not needed to purchase them all. Every company I worked for after my apprenticeship supplied them to you but obv this company only hires what you lack. Just looking for heads on what you think I should do I.e just turn up with what I have and hope they understand or buy it all so I don’t give the impression of a “joiner with no tools”. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: New Job Need A Heads Up

Post by Job and Knock »

:welcomeuhm:
Oben88 wrote:I’m lacking in power tool area with planer, chop saw, circular etc. The company have said they hire tools for employees for things they don’t have.
In my experience most main contractors will hire a chop saw (and these days a vacuum), an SDS drill and a breaker. Many will also hire a rip saw (although it is more likely to be something like a 9in Makita than a smaller saw), a 1st fix nailer (e.g. Passlode), a belt sander (if needed) and supply/hire-in extension cables. What you are highly unlikely to get, though, are planers (which are rarely available from hire companies), plunge/rail saws (ditto), routers, jigsaws or second fix guns. The biggest problem about not having, say, a first fix gun is that you may find yourself on a job where there are, say, four joiners, one hire gun (really only to cover when guys don't have a gun with them) and only one guy has brought his gun. That leaves three of you queueing up to use the gun - not good!

Of the items mentioned I'd say that you need to have your own planer and a couple of 110 volt leads (not drums, which are banned from a lot of bigger sites these days) and that a rip saw is handy (although a cordless one is even more versatile) as well as a jig saw. If you are doing second fix work your own 2nd fix gun is also pretty much a necessity (I hate having to loan somebody my gun and retrieve it repeatedly through the day because they lazy so-and-so who borrowed it hasn't brought it back), You also don't need every tool for every job. If you are on a job where only one guy is required to fit kitchens, then he'd probably be the only person to need a router (and if there is only one joiner who has a 1/2in router with him then you can guess who's most likely to get the job)

It can be difficult getting the mix right. Some firms supply almost everything (and it's new) whilst others supply nothing unless you push hard. It's a case of playing it by ear. One thing that is certain is that just when you think you have a complete kit something comes along that needs you to buy something more.....
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Oben88
Newly registered Member

Post by Oben88 »

Thanks for your reply this has given me a lot more insight. I am planning on buying a small cordless circular and planer first as I feel they are going to make my life easier if I own them. These will go with my batteries and drills/drivers I have to should make like easier in that sense. I just didn’t want to purchase these straight away and to not even need them for first few weeks. I would ideally like to own everything cordless at one point as that’s the way technology is going plus it does make like a lot easier. I just wasn’t sure if I should get anything to turn up with on the first day. I never even thought about 1st/2nd fix nail/pinners if I’m honest I’ve always done them by hand. I suppose that’s another thing I may need down the line too to make life better. I basically don’t want to give them a bad impression to start with.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

what battery system do you have
a planer in general will not be your first choice
drill jigsaws and circular saws chop saw slider or track saw will often come before a planer
99% off the time i will use a table saw with a 60 or 84 tooth blade to regularize timber rather than a planer
we are all ------------------still learning
Oben88
Newly registered Member

Post by Oben88 »

I have 2 4ah and 1 5ah. I have dewalt XR brushless impact and drill combo plus a xr jigsaw. I was thinking about a circular and a planer first incase I have to hang a door in my first week.
Last edited by Oben88 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oben88
Newly registered Member

Post by Oben88 »

If I needed a table saw I would imagine that’s what he meant by we hire out for certain jobs the joiners don’t have tools for.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

yes sorry my comments are are not for a site joiner as you definately need a planer for hanging doors and tickleing the back off architraves and skirting :lol:
Oben88
Newly registered Member

Post by Oben88 »

Would you turn up on Monday and explain I’ve been out the game for a while and need to get my tools together as and when I need them in the hope they will hire them for me and then I purchase as and when. I’ve always worked for company’s that provide them so never needed to go out and purchase everything. Eventually I would like to have everything personally to make my life easier. I just don’t want to give a bad impression on my first day that’s all.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Where are you based about?
Oben88
Newly registered Member

Post by Oben88 »

Argyll wrote:Where are you based about?
East Yorkshire
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Oben88 wrote:Would you turn up on Monday and explain I’ve been out the game for a while and need to get my tools together as and when I need them in the hope they will hire them for me and then I purchase as and when.
I'd say don't. Equally don't be afraid to tell the guy that you don't have the kit to do the job. Any foreman worth his salt will be keeping an eye on you to see how you are getting on in any case (I know I would). TBH when I'm on the tools I always ring the site foreman/manager in advance of starting a job to find out exactly what stage the job is at and just what I'll be doing. If he doesn't know, or he says something like "oh, just bring everything" then I realise I have myself a peanut. Sometimes I walk away from those because if they don't know WTH I'll be doing it doesn't bode well

In terms of the advice about site kit that B-A gave I have to disagree. There is a world of difference between site set-up, first fix and second fix and your kit will reflect that.

If you are going into a site where everything is at first fix stage then the essentials are a cordless drill, cordless impact, cordless (or corded) SDS and a cordless (or corded) portable rip saw. The firm might well supply the SDS and the rip saw. After those come a first fix nailer and lastly a jig saw. If a saw bench and/or a chop saw is/are required I think that you can reasonably expect the company to supply them along with the vacuum, although table saws are becoming a rarity in my experience. Same goes if a heavy breaker or angle grinder is needed (you'd be surprised at how often you need one of those) - the site should provide. Hand tools that you may or may not have considered include an 8m or 10m tape, string line, chalk line, decent combination square, decent pry bar and nippers. You should also consider a foam gun if the firm don't supply them

For a basic second fix, on the other hand, the essentials become a cordless drill, cordless impact, cordless (or corded) SDS and a cordless (or corded) portable rip saw plus a jigsaw and a second fix nailer. You might be able to get a second fix nailer, but really that is down to you in the longer term. A power planer is useful if you are hanging doors into existing openings (e.g. as in a refurb) but won't be required on a lot of newbuilds as often the doors and frames/casings come in as pre-hung sets. A second fix (16 ga) nailer is a real boon as you won't last long trying to hand nail. Again, if a saw bench chop saw is required you can reasonably expect the company to supply it along with the vacuum. Hand tools that you may not have considered include a pair of levels (6ft and 2ft), string line, chalk line, decent block plane, a few decent chisels n a chisel roll (with the means of touching them up on site), a pair of tin snips (for m/f studding and intumescent strips), a couple of nail sets, selection of pilot drills and a countersink bit (ideally a drill/countersink), a selection of screwdrivers (2 sizes of straights, PZD #1/#2, electricians, etc), a cheap set of Allen keys, a Stanley knife (with spare blades) and a heavy duty caulking gun - as well as the foam gun (see above)

I know that there are many other things which could be added to those lists, but I do think they are only starting points. Note that there is a lot of cross-over between first and second kits with some tools, e.g foam gun, caulking gun, etc possibly sitting in both camps
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post (total 2):
big-allDave54
Rating: 14.29%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

yes i fully agree j&k i am actually no use on this situation :lol:
my brain goes into helpful mode often missing all the information its called selective reading lol
i thankfully have had done virtually no site work and am now in effect retired for 5 years so my information and advice is perhaps out off date :lol:
so just say " big all you rotund basteward your talking out your aaarse " :lol:
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

This subject was discussed many years ago when I was on sites and it's one of the reasons I'm glad I don't do that sort of thing now. We all felt that if a person is directly employed by a company then if that company expects a certain power tool to be used then they should supply it.
People in the building trade have been very lax with this whole point. When I first started work we would get tool money , not a huge amount but something towards our handtools . Nowadays it looks as if employees are expected to furnish themselves with a range of power tools . For someone on a hourly rate it makes no sense to use their own power tools just to increase production . The only beneficiaries are the companies who employ those daft enough to supply everything themselves.
Oben88
Newly registered Member

Post by Oben88 »

Thanks for the replies they help me greatly. The company itself have 3 departments, site, maintenance and bespoke carpentry. I was told I’d be working with them all over the first 3 months to then pick which department suits me best. That being said also like you’ve stated I will require different power tools for different types of work. That’s mainly the reason I don’t want to go out and buy every power tool I think I need to cover anything they might ask me to do. I’ve not been told what I will be doing and the guy who gave me my induction on Friday was asked to do it to cover for my manager so he didn’t know exactly what I’ll be doing either.
Oben88
Newly registered Member

Post by Oben88 »

J&K I have all the essential hand tools you listed above plus the cordless power tools I stated in earlier post.

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”