Oak flooring, need help choosing

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

dangdongho1
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Oak flooring, need help choosing

Post by dangdongho1 »

Hi everyone,

Looking for some oak floor for my hallway. I know nothing about flooring, oak or otherwise, and need advise to help me choose.

I went to my local store and this is the one I liked:

http://www.v4woodflooring.co.uk/wood-fl ... mber-brown

But it costs about £120 per square meter. More than I want to pay.

I had a quick look online and this looks much more in my price range:

https://www.luxuryflooringandfurnishing ... thick.html

The one I saw in my local store is 6mm solid oak then some softwood underneath and I think it had a third layer of something on the bottom.

The cheap one online says it's solid oak. But why so much cheaper?

I like the first one because it is double the width of the cheap one but I can live with the narrower planks if it is only 1/4 of the price.

So what's the deal here? Basically any advice that will make me understand what I need and how to choose is welcome. Also product recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you!
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Oak flooring, need help choosing

Post by big-all »

you need to be careful
if it uses words like "style" or "solid timber oak veneer" or"solid wood dark american oak style finnish
even words like luxury or superior are subjective
we are all ------------------still learning
Geordieric
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Re: Oak flooring, need help choosing

Post by Geordieric »

Go and see a few independent places to explain and show you.
Look at the side of a plank will show if it is solid all through.
But solid to fit correctly isnt as easy as you think with lots of rules to avoid problems.

The one with softwood in the middle is an engineered board which is more stable than most full solid woods.
Just be very careful with the cheaper end of the market as some rather fun grades and qualities.

The most important bit is actually the top layer.
Oiled or lacquered is most common with the later being the most common and easiest. But the smooth finish can look rather naff quickly with scuffs n scratches.

Speak to a few places to understand different things, and get a price on fitting as I presume you are not doing yourself. It is rather expensive, and a cowboy will screw up and you will need a whole new floor.

Return to “General DIY forum”