Butt hinge and UPVC door

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

SquirrelHammer
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Butt hinge and UPVC door

Post by SquirrelHammer »

Hi all, so i have an ancient upvc door in this new place i have moved into, the door is wonky and leaves gaps to the outside world. The ants love it but the wife and kid does not.

I thought i could just adjust the butt hinges by unlocking them, move the pin up and down a little and tighten but this does not seem to have aligned the door at all. I have tried both doors and no matter where the pin is it never adjusts the door one bit.

Would replacing the butt hinge with a newer one work? i hate using the key to pop the pin and would rather just use a key but unsure if this is a dead cause as the door must be many many years old.

I thought out of the 6 hinges, adjusting the pin would make the door move but it hasnt. I dont need to remove the pin completely, rotate it and pop the pin back in? i never removed the pin fully to see what the pin looked like.

the hinges physically look fine (old yes but look all the same, not damaged or aligned differently). i dont really want to replace the hinge because doors weigh a ton, i am unsure if i can replace one hinge at a time while leaving the door connected and in the past whenever i touch upvc doors, screwing screws back into the same holes etc never seem to hold the same strength.
wine~o

Re: Butt hinge and UPVC door

Post by wine~o »

Pics of doors and hinges please
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
SquirrelHammer
Newly registered Member

Post by SquirrelHammer »

the picture is bad but the gap in the centre of the door goes from narrow to wide as it reaches the bottom. i only need a few mm adjustment i think to fix this
Attachments
20180604_201823_resized.jpg
20180604_201823_resized.jpg (175.23 KiB) Viewed 5813 times
20180604_201831_resized.jpg
20180604_201831_resized.jpg (109.27 KiB) Viewed 5813 times
20180604_204424_resized.jpg
20180604_204424_resized.jpg (330.14 KiB) Viewed 5813 times
fin

Post by fin »

looks to me like toe and heel the doors again might be more useful
SquirrelHammer
Newly registered Member

Post by SquirrelHammer »

hi fin the door frame is off. you saying toe and heel moving packers can realign the door?
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Those hinges look the same as I have here. If they are the same type, the pins are actually eccentric, and will give some adjustment by turning them, but I'm pretty sure that it's only meant for adjusting the seal seating against the frame. There are two pins per hinge. One top, one bottom. If they're the same as mine they have a central allen key socket, and a line as an index mark on the flat head of the pin. The grub screw in the side is just meant to lock the rotation of the pins.

AFAIK (I've only ever done my own of the one type) the main adjustment to doors and windows is as fin says, by "heel and toe" adjustment.
SquirrelHammer
Newly registered Member

Post by SquirrelHammer »

no Allen key socket on top or bottom, I can either pop the pin and turn it but I don't know what I am turning as the pin looks the same. I assume when you have no Allen key you pop pin, turn it and pop it back in? all I need is alignment of the seals for the door. atm I can see gaps
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Looking at them again I can see there's no head at the bottom. So they're different to mine, and so I don't know about them.
Sounds like they're not adjustable though.
Can you get replacement seals off eBay or similar?

Return to “General DIY forum”