Moderator: Moderators

lhs
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Knock through former gable in loft

Post by lhs »

Hi folks,

I have a Victorian semi which was extended in the 70s. I wish to make use of the "new" side's loft space for storage but access is a problem due to the former gable still being in place. There is currently a small opening about 700mm across in the middle but only from chest height upwards, meaning a step ladder is necessary to gain access.

I would like to knock through a bit more down to floor level but retaining the ~700mm width, i.e. not increasing the width, so that I can squeeze through without needing a step ladder.

The roof is rafter and purlin both sides with extra support struts on the Victorian side (marked in yellow in attached image). The purlins for the extension side are supported by the former gable but away from the existing opening in the brickwork (marked in red).

My question is, is it safe to extend the opening down to floor level without affecting support for the purlins? Am I right in thinking that the ex-gable is now only supporting these purlins and no other part of the roof structure? Could I increase the width of the opening a bit if I wanted?

Cheers,
Leon
Attachments
gable4.jpg
gable4.jpg (338.88 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
wes56

Re: Knock through former gable in loft

Post by wes56 »

you need a builder on site to give you an opinion

Return to “Building Forum”