DIY WATER RECYCLING SYSTEM.

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

DIY WATER RECYCLING SYSTEM.

Post by CELTICPSYCHO »

SO, DIY REPURPOSING HAS BECOME A PASSION, RATHER THAN A HOBBY. IVE BEEN TRYING SO MANY IDEAS, KEPT REVISITING THEM, COLLECTING MATERIAL N PARTS, PROTOTYPED THEM, PERFECTED THEM, BUT I HAVE AN IDEA THAT I WANT OPINIONS ON PLZ.

"SEE A NEED, FILL A NEED".

THE WATER SHORTAGE IN CAPE TOWN, HAS SPARKED TONS OF WATER SAVING SYSTEMS ETC. I EVEN WORK FOR A SMALL BUSSINESS, THAT INSTALL CUSTOM SYSTEMS FOR RE USING WATER.

I GREW UP A VERY CURIOUS DEVIL. I TORE ALL MY TOYS APART, TO SEE HOW THEY WORK. I DID MY TRADE IN APPLIANCE REPAIR AT AGE 19, AFTER PLAYING WITH A TWINTUB AS A CHILD. THAT CAPACITOR SHOCKED ME INTO ANOTHER IQ BRACKET.

ANYWAY, SO, IVE SALVAGED A WASH DRUM FROM A FRONTLOAD WASHING MACHINE, 85L CAPACITY. THEN, I GOT A DISHWASHER'S WASH MOTOR + PUMP, ASWEL AS THE HEATING ELEMENT, HEATING AS THE WATER TRAVELS THROUGH IT. ( INLINE WATER HEATING TUBE). A FEW MORE ELECTRICAL PARTS & PLUMBING AND I AM ON MY WAY TO SAVING RECOURCES.

MY IDEA, TO SHOWER IN INSTANTLY HEATED WATER, AT A RELAXING PRESSURE, FOR A LIMITED TIME.

1) WASH DRUM BECOMES RESIVIOR.
2) BALL VALVE INLET SYSTEM FOR FILLING DRUM.
3) PRESSURE SWITCH
4) MOTOR
5) ELEMENT
......ETC ETC

WE USED TO BE 11 IN MY MOTHER IN LAW'S HOUSE. THE ORIGINAL WATER HEATER OF 34YRS, PACKED UP AND NOT A SINGLE FREELOADER WOULD CONTRIBUTE. SO, DESPERATION GAVE ME INSPARATION.

A RATIONED AMOUNT OF WATER PER PERSON. INSTANT HOT WATER, PUMPED AT SOOTHING PRESSURE. WHEN YOUR 50L PER SHOWER IS UP, PUMP SWITCHES OFF AND BALL VALVE REFILLS DRUM.
THE PROTOTYPE WORKED WELL, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CONSTANT WATER FROM BALL VALVE. I COULDNT FIND A WAY TO CONTROL BALL VALVE.

SO SOME TIME LATER, IM WISER, MORE RESCOURCEFULL AND HAVE OPPERTUNITY.

AFTER YOU WENT THROUGH MY POST, YOU WOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT ITS A GOOD SAVER, BUT IM ASKING YOUR OPINION ON THE IDEA OF INSTANT HOT WATER, LIMITED TO X - AMOUNT PER SHOWER.

I PITCHED THE IDEA TO MY NEW LANDLORD, TO HELP SAVE AND RECYCLE WATER. IT WILL BE BUILT ABOUT THE SAME HIGHT AS THE SHOWER HEAD INSIDE.32MM POLYFLEX WATER HOSE TO LEAD THE WATER DOWN INTO A SMALL ACCUMILATOR. LEAD BY HIGH HEAT FLEXIBLE HOSE, INTO THE INLINE WATER HEATING TUBE. ENSURING PROPER HEATING, PLUMBING CAN BE STRATEGICALLY FITTED, TO ALLOW ENOUGH TIME( 3 - 6 SECONDS).

AND I WILL EVEN CLAD THE FRAME. ALL SAFE INSTALLATION.

BUT, MY LANDLORD IS SCEPTICAL AND TASKED ME TO GET ENOUGH GOOD OPINIONS, HE WOULD LET ME DO IT.

SO PLEASE GIVE IT SOME THOUGHT AND SHARE HONEST OPINIONS. THANX

Sent from my itel it1508 using Tapatalk
Rorschach

Re: DIY WATER RECYCLING SYSTEM.

Post by Rorschach »

Hmmm, where is the spam? :scratch:
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member

Post by CELTICPSYCHO »

No spam dude

Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Sorry if I'm not fully understanding this . Heating elements aside I'm not clear where your water is being recycled from or to.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Honestly.................complete waste of time and effort. You are only fooling one person, yourself.

Its not recycling anything, you don't say how the water is heated, (so why not use a boiler / heater like everyone else does and do away with your idea) why go to all that effort (waste of time) in limiting the quantity of water when all anyone has to do is wait while it fills up again, yes not ideal......
and who says its safe? Judging by your previous posts I would say, yes you do try, but safe :shock:

..............and as a general forum rule, don't type in capitals its considered to be SHOUTING
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

I think you're being too harsh on the OP. Did you not read the bit:
THE WATER SHORTAGE IN CAPE TOWN
........ although I agree with the 'capitals' use.... hate it!

If you listen to the (biased) news you'll know that Cape Town is suffering enormous difficulties with water shortages so the OP's efforts to counter this has to be commended even though the approach used may be suspect - but I suspect it simply hasn't been explained clearly enough.

We get complacent given our easy access to water and energy so we need to cut the guy some slack and comment on the basis of his local difficulties and the solutions that 'may' be applicable.
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
ayjay
Rating: 7.14%
Don't take it personally......
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member

Post by CELTICPSYCHO »

Water is harvested from rain water, redirected to an under roof tank.

When you open a tap, water travels through an "INLINE WATER HEATER". IN LAMENS TERMS, ITS PART OF THE PIPE SYSTEM. WATER FLOWS THROUGH A PIPE, THAT HAS ELEMENTS WRAPPED AROUND IT.

GO LOOK AT SOME DISHWASHERS AND ASK YOURSELF HOW YOU GET TO WASH YOUR DISHES WITH HOT WATER, WITHOUT HAVING TO WAIT FOR ANY HEATING CYCLE.

WATER CAN ALSO BE RECYCLED BY PASSING IT THROUGH A FILTER CARTRIGE

Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Ah I see it's rainwater although to be pedantic it's more rainwater harvesting than recycling as the water hasn't been previously used. That aside collecting and using rainwater is a good idea and one that I think will become more common in new builds. Possibily some kind of filtration between the collection tanks and the heater would be a good idea as it will inevitably pick up dirt and debris. You could also probably do with a mains feed to the tank for such times as when it doesn't rain. Personally I'd go for a separate manually controlled feed rather than trying to integrate mains and rainwater as the possibility of untreated water back flowing into the mains is considered a problem .While I applaud your inventiveness in using the heating elements from a dishwasher I can understand the reluctance of your landlord to allow such diy methods in their property simply from a safety aspect of such an installation .

Edit , may I also suggest the water used to wash is additionally collected in another tank for another reuse. Also may I ask if you are in the UK or South Africa?
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member

Post by CELTICPSYCHO »

Grendel wrote:Ah I see it's rainwater although to be pedantic it's more rainwater harvesting than recycling as the water hasn't been previously used. That aside collecting and using rainwater is a good idea and one that I think will become more common in new builds. Possibily some kind of filtration between the collection tanks and the heater would be a good idea as it will inevitably pick up dirt and debris. You could also probably do with a mains feed to the tank for such times as when it doesn't rain. Personally I'd go for a separate manually controlled feed rather than trying to integrate mains and rainwater as the possibility of untreated water back flowing into the mains is considered a problem .While I applaud your inventiveness in using the heating elements from a dishwasher I can understand the reluctance of your landlord to allow such diy methods in their property simply from a safety aspect of such an installation .

Edit , may I also suggest the water used to wash is additionally collected in another tank for another reuse. Also may I ask if you are in the UK or South Africa?
Im in South Africa. The waste water after shower can be redirected to a submersable tank, that feeds the toilets for flushing. At work, u actually just installed such a system. Bath & shower water flow to sub tank, then to big holding tank, where it then gets pumped to the toilets(multiple) via a high pressure pump, with automated controller switch. If you are on facebook, search PLUMBSTEEL THE WORX. All our projects go there.

Grendel

Post by Grendel »

You seem to be covering all the bases which is good. I do go on Facebook occasionally so I'll try to remember to take a look. I asked where you were because it occurred to me after mentioning the landlord that if you were in SA then regulations are likely to differ . There has been some discussion about the CapeTown water problem on UK forums , though not really this one.
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member

Post by CELTICPSYCHO »

Grendel wrote:You seem to be covering all the bases which is good. I do go on Facebook occasionally so I'll try to remember to take a look. I asked where you were because it occurred to me after mentioning the landlord that if you were in SA then regulations are likely to differ . There has been some discussion about the CapeTown water problem on UK forums , though not really this one.
Its was pretty hectic at one stage, yes. But, our rainy season had finally started. Not as much as in previous seasons, but a welcome occurance none the less. Since the day our drought was announced, every plumbing co came up with an idea to save/harvest/recycle water. Only, we have so far tested all our theories on improving the system, for ease of use and each time, our mods on an installation, got us better reviews.

Lol, one Oppenheimer wannabe, decided to sease the moment. He advertised an "AIR-TO-WATER" system. He got away with over 200 000 in deposit payments.

So, my job is my hobby and also passion. Labour of love.

So, its only natural that I constantly try new ideas and theories, how ever trivial. One day, I might end up using that.

So, most of my posts, aren't at all a willy nilly babble of texts. I only have difficulty to explain in detail, as my ideas/mods happen in the moment.

wine~o

Post by wine~o »

WOW, over here in the UK we just take for granted that when we turn the tap on ... water will come out. Good quality water at that.

IKN about your issue but wish you good luck. :salute:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member

Post by CELTICPSYCHO »

wine~o wrote:WOW, over here in the UK we just take for granted that when we turn the tap on ... water will come out. Good quality water at that.

IKN about your issue but wish you good luck. :salute:
Thanks. Its really no biggy hey.
Yes, some people here waste, but a majority do the effort.

Its human survivor 101 basically. Improvise - adapt - survive
I'm also a very curios george. I must know how stuff works & how its made. Independant from the need to "make the pizza, but never know the secret ingredient".

I always see practical, productive & portable uses for so many different items. Only problem, that mostly happens in the moment, when the need strikes. I remember an item I picked up or didn't throw away last week. Then Bob is your uncle.

Return to “Plumbing Forum”