Cracked tile repair.

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Rorschach

Cracked tile repair.

Post by Rorschach »

Small porch roof has some tiles that are cracked. Still holding together and doesn't appear to be letting water through. I tried to slide up some tiles to gain access to replace them as per Chez's video but it appears that every row has been nailed down solid and besides that they are spread out in awkward places.

Before I rip off the whole roof, which I know it will need eventually, is there anything I could put into the cracks to make it last a bit longer? Some kind of mastic that would stand up to the sun and rain.

The house roof will need doing in probably the next 10 years ish so would get the whole lot replaced to match then and have the roofer do a better job than I could.
wes56

Re: Cracked tile repair.

Post by wes56 »

use clear silicone.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I've used bog standard silicon mastic on slate roofs which considering we never got called back must have worked I assume , even if it does fall into the catagory of a bodge.
With regards to tiles I've seen and used epoxy resin used to repair broken tiles , this sort of stuff,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/TENAX-Rapid-Re ... 1693277827
That one is white although the stuff I've used was clear. Surprisingly strong but to make sure I glued some material like weed membrane on the back . Dusted over with brick dust on the front and the repair was almost perfect. Not tried doing it insitu but I don't see why it shouldn't work. That glue comes as vertical and horizontal , or at least the stuff I used did. The horizontal is quite runny but the vertical is ore like a gel and would be the one to use.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Silicone never really occurred to me, I was expecting something bituminous to be recommended.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Used to work with a guy who got nicknamed "blackjack" . Plumber by trade although on small works he did most things and a far few repairs were done with some kind of bitumous stuff.
Silicon is certainly easier to use . I was always taught in these situations to apply it in circles , something to do with the air inside that circle having some sort of suction effect. I was dubious but did as I was told and it always sees to have worked. :dunno:

Return to “General DIY forum”