Hiding a boiler/adding some much needed kitchen storage

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

AndyBaldock
Has thanked: 0

Hiding a boiler/adding some much needed kitchen storage

Post by AndyBaldock »

Dear All,

I have a boiler that we want to disguise because there are just too many pipes. It is in a small pantry between a kitchen and a downstairs bathroom. The galley kitchen is very small and we could do with some more storage space. I think I've come up with a solution but I don't know if its just ridiculous or good problem solving skills.

The boiler needs to be accessible. What I'm thinking is, add a kitchen counter (the washing machine sits below it). Then from left to right, make a shelf out of 18mm mdf and position a kitchen cupboard on the mdf but in front of the boiler. To do this, I'd add battens to the left and right, scribe each side to make the cupboard look in-built and add some kind of trim to hide the mdf. The I would screw the cupboard to the battens on both sides to secure it. That way, if the boiler needs accessing, I'd just need to unscrew and pull the cupboard out.

This came about because we will be hiding the boiler one way or another and I was going to use kitchen cabinet doors on a small frame. This way I am doing the same thing but with the added benefit of more storage space.

Can anyone think of any pitfalls or things that I've missed that would make this a terrible idea?

I'll add a picture in a sec.

Thank you
AndyBaldock
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hiding a boiler/adding some much needed kitchen storage

Post by AndyBaldock »

This is what it looks like at the minute...
Attachments
8887BA3C-E861-4F4F-9800-C5A0BCABD29F.jpeg
8887BA3C-E861-4F4F-9800-C5A0BCABD29F.jpeg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 1512 times

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”