DIY wooden punch bag frame advice needed!

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

MrV
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

DIY wooden punch bag frame advice needed!

Post by MrV »

Hi everyone I'm planning on starting a little project to make a punch bag frame out of wood and I need some advice as I'm a complete DIY virgin!

I wish to create a simple frame, 9ft wide and 7ft high which will hold 2 30kg bags and not fall over when hit.

Im planning on basing the frame design on the kids football goal design (see attached image) here;

My questions are;
1. Will simply joining the beams by wood screws be enough?
2. What wood would be best to use?
3. Would the wood hold the bags without snapping?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Ben
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
Grendel

Re: DIY wooden punch bag frame advice needed!

Post by Grendel »

I wouldn't personally just use screws , mortise and tenons would be a better approach although as you say you're a novice so perhaps that's a bit advanced.
60kg plus the force is quite a weight. I'd be tempted to use standard 6x2 cls timber. One around six feet long as sole plate into which you could notch two uprights to give you in effect an upside down T. Simple notch means it can be secured with screws. Fit small packers between the two uprights to help ridigiffy it. Build two of these .Diagonal braces can also be added which again can be fixed with screws. At the top I'd cut a slot to take the cross member , again in 6x2 . This I'd fix with bolts as it'd be easier to dismantle to move etc. Your punch bags would attach to this piece.
Hope that makes some sort of sense .
MrV
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: DIY wooden punch bag frame advice needed!

Post by MrV »

Grendel wrote:I wouldn't personally just use screws , mortise and tenons would be a better approach although as you say you're a novice so perhaps that's a bit advanced.
60kg plus the force is quite a weight. I'd be tempted to use standard 6x2 cls timber. One around six feet long as sole plate into which you could notch two uprights to give you in effect an upside down T. Simple notch means it can be secured with screws. Fit small packers between the two uprights to help ridigiffy it. Build two of these .Diagonal braces can also be added which again can be fixed with screws. At the top I'd cut a slot to take the cross member , again in 6x2 . This I'd fix with bolts as it'd be easier to dismantle to move etc. Your punch bags would attach to this piece.
Hope that makes some sort of sense .
Many thanks Grendel I understand!

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”